Agnostic.com

10 2

Back packing

What was the best back packing trip you've had so far

Johanvail 4 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I Dream of doing part of the Appalachian Trail. But I’m pretty old and out of shape. Maybe it’s time to change that.

I know I can't do it any more
I river raft just as much fun

@MermaidSuzy888 Absolutely! And if it's never the App, there are plenty of miles to be hiked in the world. I like the hiking, but not so much the camping, so my hikes and backpacking trips are generally day trips. I have back issues. But not from age--they started when I jumped out of a second-story window at age 15.

Wow I'm sure backpacking is just as popular now as in the day
I never had money but didn't stop me from hitch hiking cross country
I went to Washington state took the ferry up lake chelan to stahikin then backpacked to the north cascade highway
One of many trips I'll always remember

In '86 I packed into the Wind Rivers with ropes and racks and we climbed the NE Face of Pingora.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingora_Peak)

Also anazasi ruin hikes in Utah.

It was in Havasupai, in the area of the Grand Canyon, a very long time ago. I camped in one of the sites with a view of Mooney Falls, and I completed about five or six amazing day trips from that extraordinary spot.

I'd say somewhere in the PA woods back a few years ago.

to india over land in 77 via a summer on crete. closely followed by a european trip lasting 2 years. both involved lots of hitch hiking. What ever happened to that ?. they are so rare in canada

Three week walkabout from Boston to Woodstock NY and back.
Stuck to back roads, didn't hitch but accepted a few rides when someone would stop.
Slept in woods or abandoned buildings. Small tent, tarp, essentials.
Met some great people.
. Best was a guy stopped to talk, then invited me to his house.
Turns out he was a chef at the local, and whipped me up a wonderful meal.
Packed my food box and waved goodbye to he and his wife.
Other similar occurances.
Camping through the Berkshires and across the Hudson are memorable.
. One religious guy asked me did I want a ride. I saw the church logo on the car door but said fuck it, this could be fun and I don't want to walk through this town anyway. He was nice enough, bought me ice cream.
. Did get stopped by a cop once. He couldn't believe it - "you have a car, a house, why are you walking ?"
" 'cuz I want to"
" yeah, but you could drive "
" I want to"
. People were always happy to fill my canteens.

Not a backpacking story but this reminded me of the following:
I was in the parking lot of a supermarket with my bicycle somewhere in smalltown Montana or ND and a fat lady waddled past with her grocery bags on her arms and said dismissively "Why don't you get a car like everybody else?". For a moment I was shocked; I levelled a look at her and retorted "Because then I'd BE like everybody else". She was mute. It was perfect.

Collegiate Peaks Colorado. Bagged Mt. Harvard, Mt. Columbia

[en.wikipedia.org]

Another 14'er bagger! I hit 47 of them before I left CO.

@CallMeDave My count is 28... I have all of the Sawatch. planning to attempt some of the San Juan's this summer.

@marmot84 it really makes you travel across the entire state. Two of my favorites were the Chicago Basin area and Sangre de Cristos.

Dolly Sods times two!

Oh my BOB! I love the Sods and it's bears!!!

@Holysocks it's so beautiful there. Holds such precious memories

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65688
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.