Agnostic.com

24 21

Since moving to this small rural community a few years ago, I have been occasionally vexxed ( at least 3 times that I recall ) by (recruitment IHMO) letters sent to me by well meaning christian sheeple. One was from a minister. I had no problem being curt with him. The second that I recall was from a very senor lady, who was no doubt put up to doing it by clergy. The third was apparently a child in a similar situation.

I didn't respond to the latter two because my usual terse responses didn't seem to be appropriate to me. I decided to craft a generic response letter that I could use should (almost certainly will) this occur again.

I've attached it below and I would love some input and suggested improvements to consider.

Here goes:

==========================================================

Dear Believer,

I can tell you put a lot of care and concern into your letter to me. I appreciate that.

However, I do not share your beliefs. Further, I think believing in something, anything, with out supporting evidence is foolish.

Unfortunately, religion, not just yours, but each and every religion so far, has offered only unsupported speculation. If you take the time to think critically and demand evidence before you believe in anything, you will avoid a lot of foolish waste this world has to offer.

I see little need in life to make up stories that sound pretty and comforting, but are none the less false. As Carl Sagan said, "....Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

Carl Sagan and I are not the only ones to think this way. Here are some thoughts from notable figures from the past few thousand years:

"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing." - Hypatia of Alexandria (370 - 415 AD)

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."
Thomas Jefferson

"Where there is evidence, no one speaks of faith. We do not speak of faith that two and two are four or that the Earth is round. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence" ~ Bertrand Russell

Upon closing, I want to leave you with this thought (that I've stolen from somewhere); May you have days when your coffee tastes like magic, your playlist makes you dance, strangers and children make you smile and the night sky touches your soul. May you fall in love with being alive again.

Do well, and be well.
And thanks anyway.
Your Atheist friend and neighbor.

Normanbites 7 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments (26 - 24)

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:658090
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.