Agnostic.com

13 6

Relationships

I am 38. Never had a girlfriend. Hell, never even been kissed. I didn't know how to socialize (due to a car accident I was involved in when I was 10). I missed a few milestones growing up. My question is, can you relate and how did you overcome this?

VAH1979 5 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can. I stayed away from dating for three decades, and when I briefly dated years ago it didn't go anywhere. The important thing to realize is you're not alone. Take care of yourself and learn how to appreciate who you are; when you feel better about yourself you can better go and meet people and have something to give. The right people won't judge you and will like you for you. I've been there, I know.

Confidence is key, or to put it in a more practically, get out of your own way. I don't know you well enough to say, but this post gives me the impression that you're judging yourself too harshly. Don't allow baseless assumptions about yourself or others become a barrier. Socializing is only hard when you're in a place that isn't comfortable, you don't need to be a grand orator to be social. No one masters a skill in one day, so take your time.

My main advice is this: Do something that is simple, but challenges your assumptions. You want to be social, learn to be in social settings first. Go out and get a coffee or lunch, and expose yourself a little.

My advice, no matter how ugly or undesirable you think you are there is someone that if way worse than you that's still getting it in. Plus I'm sure you could find people who would be sexually attracted to you but obviously the more conventionally attractive you are the less effort you need to put in, in your search efforts and courtship. Learn some social skills failing that focus on making money. Money never fails to make people seem more attractive. Just be careful not to be relieved of it, so use it sparingly. If all else fails hire hookers and enjoy your money!

I was too busy building fast street drag cars till I was 23, a year and a half later I was married for the first time, Big mistake.

VAH, I can't relate personally, but it does happen, you aren't out of the norm. You may not realize it, but, you're taking the first steps now, to overcoming it. It's like overcoming shyness. It's not a contagious disease, it doesn't make you a bad person, you aren't hurting anyone else being this way. So, don't be ashamed of it and don't let this make you feel like less of a person. We all have challenges in life and this is just one of yours.
Take it slow. Be part of this website and any other site you find where you feel community. This was your experience but it doesn't make you who you are. Focus on your positives, those things that make you unique. Connecting online can help you build your confidence and, in time, you will find the right people to trust. THAT is true for any of us in our challenges.

I didn't have a boyfriend until I was 22. I am 30 now, and I'm happy to be single.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side.
I know more people in unhappy relationships verses happy. Meet up groups are still popular and provide a nice way to socialize without the pressure. Doing anything the first time is hard but don't let that stop you.

I was horribly bullied at school, which made me very skeptical of people. (I think) because of my experiences I'd become very introverted. So I decided to start doing lots of different things. Rock climbing, surfing, paragliding, skiing, golf. I also studied 'the pickup community', and met a few pick up artists. This really opened my eyes, and I started to study male-female relationships scientifically, and this helped too. Through these wonderful hobbies and adventured I've been on, I've grown in confidence and I would probably say I can come across as both an introvert and an extrovert depending on my mood. I've had many very nice girlfriends, I'm very honest with women as to what I'm looking for, and I'm living a great life.

My advice is do exciting, adventurous, interesting things and you'll meet exciting, adventurous, interesting people.

KenG Level 6 Apr 25, 2018

ugh on so many levels. Just so you(and anyone reading) know "negging" ala pick up artist "advice" is toxic AF and will land you the wrong person and chase the smart, good ones who know better away.

@Qualia Negging was a tactic used by one pickup instructor many many years ago. It’s was only used in very particular situations in nightclubs, and many PUA’s, especially older guys don’t agree with using it, and don’t believe it’s useful.

@KenG sage advice that.

If you can find a support group for the socially awkward, then perhaps you can meet a woman in a similar position and figure it out together. Otherwise try therapy.

....isn't that kinda what we are? 😉

@Suffolkian We are therapy or a group for the socially awkward? Maybe a little of both? 🙂

My advice is to put a photo up, fill in your profile and write to a few people. You may get nothing but rejection, but then at least you'll KNOW and you'll have tried. And it's a hell of a lot more attractive than being diffident. You may even be pleasantly surprised.

Wow, you lasted to 38 without ever having a girlfriend? You are a much stronger man than I, my head would have imploded by now if I didn't have any female contact. When it comes to dating, as simple as this sounds, just be yourself, and you'll be able to socialize just fine. Being a good listener is key, listen way more than talking. Hope that helped some, take care.

I’m actually going to disagree slightly here. If being yourself isn’t attractive then change.

Well dude, my two cents..... Do whatever it takes to break free from whatever and go out experience what may be at your disposal. You're running out of time. Once you pass certain age then you are not sexy anymore and game's over. Your time is TODAY and NOW, cannot afford to lose another day.....

I can definitely relate: I'm 37 and I grew up with very few friends; due to a lack of socialization I failed to internalize many taboos, inhibitions, values, etc. that most people either take for granted or do not even realize they have. This has been both a blessing (e.g. my bullshit radar is industrial-grade) and a curse (e.g. my bullshit radar is industrial-grade). In some ways I will never "make up" the "lost time"--because I have seen behind the curtain, so to speak, re: what makes people behave the way they do; I can never unsee what I have seen.

I have not "overcome" it. I won't. I will continue to cope, and hopefully improve. But I would never want to give up the perspective I have gained by being an outsider.

Wish I had more for you.

stinkeye I am 53. I also have the blessing and the curse bullshit radar. 😉 My friends get a kick out of it. It's not a ploy. I am as gracious as a person can be but nobody's doormat. It took a long time for me to find the confidence to really mean 'knock it off'. At 37, I could say 'knock it off' but I was still vulnerable. But, through a series of unfortunate events (the builder of my home went to jail after putting up the frame, my construction loan fell through without a builder, my partner died suddenly, my mom became extremely ill leading to her death and I was her primary caregiver), age 40 my life bottomed out and I found myself with few resources, my young son and I were grieving, a house to build, mom to care for, full time job (fortunately).
I overcame my fears and gained new perspective. But I didn't overcome who I am. I learned to embrace who I am. I used to be an outsider. Then I realized most people, especially the ones who want to tell you how to behave, are just reacting, they don't have a handle on what's right or wrong but when we're vulnerable they like to keep us on the outside. The flip side of being an outsider is when you change your perspective, walk your walk, talk your talk you become a leader, nobody's doormat because you're able to look at things for what they are. It's a rare ability, I think. It sounds like you have it. It makes life interesting and surprisingly fun. People know I am generous but I won't waste my time on bullshit. Nice to run into you in this community.
Also, did you make that flower?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65832
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.