Agnostic.com

8 14

Have you taken photos of birds or butterflies?

These butterflies must have been stoned on nectar. They didn't fly away. Usually with any sound or motion from me, they're gone.

Swallowtail butterflies on Columbia Lily.

Taylor's Checkerspot butterfly is highly endangered. Yarrow flowers.

Mountain Bluebirds are extremely rare in North Central Washington. This is the first I have seen. A flock of Mountain Bluebirds were swooping across a meadow to catch insects next to Glacier View trail in April. The females were brown and gray. This male was a spectacular blue.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have seen a Mt Bluebird once North of Ellensberg WA. This is a photo of a Blue Grosbeak at Cape May NJ I took a few years ago and the second is a Leucistic Chickadee that was in my back yard. Leucism is a genetic condition that causes reduced pigment in the feathers of birds.

@Robert_2001

Beautiful photo of the bluebird. Lucky to see it. Chickadee photos are lovely, too.

Here are a few, what I could upload from my phone. I have a few more, but I can't find them.

first two were of an owl family that hatched in one of my trees, second two my resident cardinal male, I couldn't locate the files with all the butterflies so just a few for different stages.

@glennlab

Wonderful photos of red cardinal birds! I miss them. Cardinals are not in Washington State.

Growing up in Michigan, I loved seeing red cardinals against white snow. Exquisite.

Thank you.

@LiterateHiker I've had cardinals nesting in my yard for the last 30 years. About every third year they actually brood a family and I end up with 6 or 7 for a month or so then I'm back to just one couple.

@EarnestEccentric The camera gets most of the credit.

Yes all the time. Peacock on Buddllia

Monarchs are mostly orange with black markings. Those look more like some kind of black swallowtail. At least you have some, spring critters are not doing much here yet.

@alliwant

You're right. They look a lot like this Black Swallowtail butterfly in Oklahoma.

But in my picture, the butterflies have more white.

Beautiful shots, not for a while

I enjoy looking at some of the spectacular photos that you have posted on the site. I took the following photo about three years ago while I was sitting on a deckchair one afternoon. A blackbird landed beside me and looked straight up while I had my phone in my hand. Just found a photo of a vulture that I took using a 200mm lens with f8 aperture.

@EarnestEccentric Thank you, I had to reduce the size of the orginal photo to upload it here. 🙂

@EarnestEccentric He was one of several vulture perched on a tree and could not miss the opporunity of a photo.

Nice pictures

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:659924
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.