Agnostic.com

3 6

When Michigan jury freed militiamen, it exposed ugly realities about the spread of extremism

"A jury’s refusal late last week to convict four Michigan militiamen for plotting to kidnap and assassinate Gov. Gretchen Whitmer—with two men acquitted outright, while the jury was hung on the other two—may have come and gone from the national media radar already. But it’s a decision that will have long-term ramifications for public safety and national security, particularly law enforcement’s ability to effectively deter and prevent domestic terrorism."

"The verdict was disturbing in no small part because nearly the entirety of the evidence in the case was presented by prosecutors. The defense rested after only a relative handful of witnesses, arguing throughout that the whole affair was a case of entrapment—and it was disturbing and damning, showing a group of men who not only freely indulged in violent fantasies but set about making them realities."

"But the outcome did not happen in a vacuum. It was only the latest in a string of similar verdicts in which prosecutors have failed to bring right-wing extremists to justice, revealing both how deeply these beliefs and behaviors have become normalized as well as how poorly equipped law enforcement is to deal with the challenges they present."

Full Article: [dailykos.com]

nogod4me 8 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just wrong reminiscent of the failure to indict the clan in the South in the 60s and 70s

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 13, 2022

Death threats by anyone should be prosecuted as a crime, when committed by domestic militants whether Islamic or right-wing. To not prosecute white supremacists for the same crimes as others are prosecuted is racism and ethnic prejudice, and juries should not be allowed to excuse it.

I agree with this: “I think if the FBI agents stayed focused on investigating the crimes that were occurring, rather than trying to manufacture an elaborate plot, they would have been more successful." Obviously, there will be more right-wing extremist incidents and the Republicans are itching to gaslight what they see as unfairness against right-wing extremist militants.

If government is to gain control over domestic extremism, then FBI tactics, courtroom culture, and media interpretations need to control their bias about the cultural issues that impact delivery of true justice. Did I leave out anything?

I agree. I feel horrified and appalled that they were not convicted.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:660636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.