Agnostic.com

4 4

Jevon’s Paradox: Efficiency gains contribute to increasing production and consumption which increases the extraction of resources and the generation of wastes. The Jevons paradox is that efficiency enables growth.
I once got into a debate from a member of a group I was in (but no more) about this idea. He kept claiming contrary ideas that were basically BS. Finally, when he ran out of ‘proofs,’ it was wrong, he stated, as a member of our environmental group, his was not the place to get into discussions of this sort. He simply followed orders. This told me many groups, right and left, had members like this and, as such, had few real facts to stand on. The ‘Sierra Club’ is another such organization.

JackPedigo 9 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Supply-and-demand: No matter how much they deny, it is the most basic rule of economics. Minimum wage, price of gas,...are determined by this reality.

Deniers of such universal laws are pretty much religionists seeking to blame other humans... Imbeciles.

And when the supply side starts to run out we get what we're having in today's world.

The Sierra Club favors carbon regulations rather than carbon tax and dividend bills. Their promotion of carbon regulations has caused setbacks for carbon-related climate and environment bills going through the Hawaii legislature. They don't favor ideas one would assume they'd like. Regulations are expensive and often ineffective, because they're liable to have many loopholes.

According to a PBS report the Sierra Club sold out to industry a long time ago. This group was once partners with ZPG and we even co-sponsored 2 mini-conventions in the Seattle Center together. Now they refuse to look at the population impact of any one region and lumps overpopulation across the globe. This totally ignores the impact of increased activity of developed countries especially the US. Industry does not want any mention of overpopulation as it might upset their continued growth dogma.
At one time I considered some groups as not being 'special' interests but thought we should have a designation of 'general' interest groups. Recently, I heard the Sierra Club has lost standing among environmental groups and has become a 'special' interest group.

Hey, Rich and Jack, your saying “unfortunately” or “it’s a shame” is evidence of your idealism. Your and my idealisms want what does not exist.

If it had ever existed, humankind would have kept it. Our increasing population and our increasing wants probably guarantee it will never exist.

Paradoxes? The list is long but those that people have hurled at me are evidence of low quality thinking. Olbers, for instance. doesn’t ask how many photons a human receptor requires before it sends a signal to the brain. Compare our receptors with those of cats, or eagles.

Jevons paradox bedeviled Hoover and Roosevelt as they tried, without success, to deal with the !930s Great Depression. Jevons doesn’t consider population growth.

Settle for empathy, and let it move you. I too might succeed.

Empathy is an emotion. We are in this predicament because of too much emotion and not enough reason. The basic philosophy was not about population just a matter of observable fact. To me Jeven's paradox shows that technology will not save us but only exacerbates the problem. I guess too many see the Earth as being too large to ever run out of resources.

People will consume -- that's what we do. 😎

It's a shame that our goals are always 'more, more, more' rather than we being capable of satiation. We're a competition organized society rather than being success oriented -- then we all die anyway.🤔

Unfortunately, it's true. Studies have also shown the more we have the more we want. I will make a post on that subject.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:661219
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.