Agnostic.com

2 1

'Stain on Democracy': Tax Day Study Shows US Billionaires Now Own $4.7 Trillion

"We reject the narrative that this country cannot afford to invest in a better world."

An analysis released Monday to mark Tax Day in the United States shows that the country's 735 billionaires have seen their collective wealth soar by 62% over the past two years while worker earnings have grown just 10%, modest gains eaten away by the rising costs of food, housing, and other necessities.

"We reject the narrative that this country cannot afford to invest in a better world."

According to new calculations by Oxfam America, U.S. billionaires now own a combined $4.7 trillion in wealth, much of which goes completely untaxed. As ProPublica recently found in an examination of data from the Internal Revenue Service—an agency that disproportionately targets the poor—the 25 richest people in the U.S. paid a true tax rate of just 3.4% from 2014 to 2018.

"The billionaire wealth explosion in this country comes at a time of historic inflation hitting working families, compounded by the expiration of critical social safety nets put in place at the start of the pandemic to protect America's most vulnerable," said Gina Cummings, vice president of advocacy alliances and policy at Oxfam America.

"The impact on real people is devastating, leading countless families to slip into poverty," Cummings added. "The ongoing failure of our nation's leaders to implement a more equitable tax system is a stain on democracy."

Full Article: [commondreams.org]

nogod4me 8 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wake the Fuck Up America..Bezoz, Musk nor Gates et al..Doesn't give a fuck About You..wake the Fuck Up..

It's unlikely this will change anytime soon, if ever. The billionaires own the corporations, the media, the banks, and the government. They have all the power. They have enough wealth for a thousand lifetimes. What are we going to do about it? Nothing. They have too much influence. For decades I've been hearing that we should tax them more yet decades pass and it never happens because they have lobbyists and politicians and armies of lawyers and influence.

Then Stop voting for the likes of Manchin, Sinema, Schumer, Pelosi,Biden,Butigiege or Any Mod Dem that Doesn't support Taxing the Overlords and Corporations..

@Charlene Okay, sure. I didn't vote for most of those people because I can only vote for politicians running in the state that I live in. I did vote for Biden because the other choice (Trump) was far, far, far, far worse.

So... I guess either just stay home and don't vote or throw my vote away on a third party candidate that has absolutely zero chance of getting elected since a third party candidate hasn't won a state in over 50 years and has never won the national election.

@Charles1971 vote for progressives..in the dem psrty that refuse to take donations from Corporations and Wall st.. btw those reps are examples of Mod Dems..

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:661701
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.