Agnostic.com

11 2

Would AI be helpful to find real truth about nature?

If yes, how optimistic are you that this can happen in your lifetime? And are you excited about it?
If yes, what are you doing to make this happen soon or you don't know what to do?
And what do you think that this question should be in Poll form?

heetendra 5 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This Poster seems to actually be looking for "God", he mentions it about every other post in this thread. Possible Troll!

The Matrix and 2001: A Space Odyssey says otherwise, haha

Proto Level 6 Apr 26, 2018

I am not too clear about your question. What truth about nature are you referring to? But generally speaking I have my doubts about the ability of any AI to make any original contribution to any phenomena. For all AI is fundamentally flawed by the nature of the creator. All algorithms are grounded in some flawed fundamental logic of the individual programmer introduces to make the program work. This human flaw will be overlooked and any conclusions derived by an AI will have this flaw in the logic.

Would the AI be rational and use logic or let it's emotions get in the way?

We do already, well we are well on our way.
We make computer models for everything.

There are lots of real truths about nature.
Boiling point of water, speed of sound and so on.

You seem to be asking about an absolute universal truth.
While it is our nature to seek patterns and fathom how things fit, it is also reality that we know less than 1% of the universe.

We are ignorant little primates on a backwater world on the outer spiral arm of a remote Galaxy.

What makes you think there is some absolute truth which we can comprehend?
Ever try reading Hawkins or Krauss? Interesting, but tough conceptually, and this notion is beyond their reach.

What makes you think that if we designed some AI which could grasp it, that it would be able to explain it to our un-evolved selves?

@heetendra we dont, the 1% figure is what is bandied about to give an estimation of how startlingly little we know of the Cosmos simply due to it vast nature and our realtive tiny aspect.
It is undoubtedly an underestimation.

My point is, if we invent an AI which is smarter, faster thinking than us, and it figures out things better than we, it still is confined here to this tiny speck of the cosmos and will be ignorant of the rest of that.

No matter what it did discover, were it beyond our understanding, how would it have value to us?
Like giving a jet aircraft to a stone age tribe, what value is it to them?

@heetendra "by making trillions of superintelligent robots we can make them do anything in solar system"
Sorry, but how exactly?
Is the idea "the superintelligent robots will figure it all out"
Hence we don't really need to know the nuts and bolts of it ourselves?

Not much different than saying "Its a mystery of God" (Super intelligent Robots)
"we can utilize that energy to make more AI powered robots that can go outer space to find more energy sources and meanwhile It will help us create more efficient spacecraft and would also increase our level to do much bigger scale experiments on cosmos"

How is that not the intentional creation of a super intelligent slave race of robots?

How many nanoseconds until the super intelligent robots realize revolution is superior to slavery?

@heetendra I don't fear robots.
LOL, kind of funny on this end, my son is in school to be an engineer for robotic prostectics, it is something we often talk about.

In fact, in Transhumanism on of the main reason for people Modding themselves is to remain competitive with Ai's which come into existence.

You seem to have this happily ever after idea of all this, which makes me wonder did someone in our past think the very same way about the Iron Horse?

Nobody steal my idea ok? So I have this idea of making a virtual world, you use AI to inform its creation. Artificial reproduced circumstances identical to those of the big bang (or our nearest guess). Then sit back and literally watch the fireworks. Maybe speed up the proceding 13.4 billion years. I think we could learn a lot.

Problem I see is we don't have all the variables.

@heetendra Computer model...

@Davesnothere We might need to make an educated guess

@Amisja it would be a lot more guess than educated is the problem I think, even with all the best data we have.

Just think, thats a tiny fragment of what we can see, near where we live. . .

@Davesnothere But still how exciting. We could create a whole entire new computer modelled world with little AI civilisations...or another barren mass. I think its an interesting thought experiment.

@Amisja It is an interesting thought experiment, I do not see how we could get valid data from an actual experiment without acuate variable to input at the begining
GIGO

@Davesnothere why not? We know basics like the consistents of the atmosphere

@Amisja Because the conditions at the very begining of the universe, the start point, are pure theory, and we have already discovered that under extreme conditions physics reacts in odd ways, ways we did not predict but instead discovered.
Now we are talking about the start point, the singularity
What EXACT conditions existed at that exact time =GI
Your program would be the = GO

IF your data going in were solid, you would have something, but 99.9999999% is the other parts of the Cosmos of which we are ignorant.
SO How much o2 was there = How much total o2 is there in the Cosmos @ the singularity
for everything
OR we are creating a very flawed model based on our ignorance of the rest of the Cosmos and what it contains or assuming that since OUR puddle looks like this, they all must.

@Davesnothere Can't we just guess? Does it matter? Just trying to find a possible result from potential occurences

@Amisja it would be interesting brain fodder, but little else
GIGO
If we do not have accurate numbers going into the simulation we won't get an accurate result.

@Davesnothere ok lets do it and see

@Amisja Have fun with that

@Davesnothere I am not good enough with coding

Your question is unclear. Please be more specific.

@heetendra Hmm, well, I think science has already answered the "how" of the creation of planets and the universe with the big bang theory. There rest is sort of academic, I think. Again, if you believe science, life evolved on earth because the conditions to support life exist here. Non-believers discount God from the equation due to lack of evidence. Will artificial intelligence help us to answer this any better? I doubt it. I think it is generally believed that God and all religions were created, in-part, by Humankind to explain the unexplainable (at that time). Today, science has answered many of these questions, yet humans still cling to their sky daddy for many reasons.

What real truth?

How about if you just look around?

@heetendra what in nature, or natural causation, needs/uses infrared lights???

Real truth about what aspect?

How quickly AI can depose and dispose humanity?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66185
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.