Agnostic.com

5 1

Make lying in politics illegal

This should be common sense but please feel free to sign the petition

[change.org]politics-illegal

LenHazell53 9 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Both sides accuse each other of lying as it is. Democrats accuse Trump and Republicans of "the Big Lie" and Republics accuse Democrats of lying about and "stealing" the last election. This would mean no politician can say much of anything....On second thought...that's not a bad idea. 🙂

The difference there being that Republicans actually are lying. And they incited an insurrection with their lies.

Who is going to police this and who will be responsible for figuring out what the truth is?

In the UK Parliament is Televised and so is scrutinised and fact check every day, it is however illegal for one MP in Parliament to accuse another of lying in the chamber. The best that can be asked is for the offender to "Correct the record" which they often do not.
Were this to come in to force, an MP knowingly and deliberately lying in the chamber or elsewhere (As Boris Johnson did over so called partygate) with the intent to mislead or defraud parliament or the public could be arrested and forced to resign.

"When viewed in the context of the game metaphor and despite all the spurious reasons given, lying by an individual or a government reduces to one of two things, the liar hopes to win or hopes to make someone else lose.” Arnold Arnold

But if lying is removed from politics, what will remain??? I can think of one American party that would immediately cease to exist, and there wouldn't be much left of the other, either. 🤔

And the problem with that is?

@LenHazell53 Ummm ... after some reflection ... none that I can come up with .... LOL

So, does it make a difference to a British bill if Americans sign a petition?

I should think not, I sign US petitions quite often

@LenHazell53 Most petition signatories must a registered voter to be valid here. And in the jurisdiction. Just FYI.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:661872
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.