Agnostic.com

14 3

Whats your respond to christians calling the bible the good book?

Rdurham 5 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tell them to go read it cover to cover, i find that many Christians never really read the bible.

I think the best argument as to why the Bible is not a good book is slavery. Never does it condemn slavery, OT or New. It explains how to treat your slave, beating just enough that he doesn’t die, because if he doesn’t die for a couple of days your off the hook. If the slave is a Hebrew then all you have to do is give him a wife and then when the jubilee comes and if the slave loves his wife he has to stay a slave forever or just leave her and the kids with his wonderful master. Ask, do you agree with slavery? Does God? If god doesn’t change then why doesn’t it say: “Thou shall not keep another human being as property?” Where is the morality? Show me the goodness.

gearl Level 8 Oct 29, 2017

It's only the good book if you agree with it's content . If you don't agree with it's content your considered a sinner and hell is your destination .

As I like to respond, I'd rather reign in Hell than serve in heaven.

To make it clear I think the Bible is full of crap .

They can call it anything they want. It really doesn't matter anyhow.

I suppose a good book should be judged on the quality of paper,binding etc.

A 'good' book to me is one that is difficult to put down when I'm reading it, and quite frankly the bible does fit that description. It is a good book - but just that - a good book. It is an amazing story of greed, sex, murder, imagination and drama! It contradicts itself from story to story, so definitely can't be considered true, but my goodness it is an incredible story!
But, as far as folks saying BS things like this particular conversation I recently had here in the NC bible belt:
The conversation was about parenting skills.
Me: No parent really knows what they're doing, there isn't any instructions about parenting. We're all sort of winging it! (with a bit of a laugh)
Them: Oh, there is an instruction book - the bible!!!
Me: You raise your children according to a book that was written like 2000 or something years ago? Don't you think that society has changed since then? That we've learned so much since then?
Them: Oh, no the bible is timeless and is the guidebook that will always fit the current society.
WTF????? THAT is just ignorance to me. And I end the conversation.

I ask them if they read it. Few people have.

Jayd Level 2 Oct 5, 2017

A few options:

1. Ask: Have they read about Snow White and the Seven Dwarves or Peter Pan?
  2. Ignore them, and remember that time is a precious commodity that you can’t get back

My suggestion: Don’t waste your time

Amen

It depends If it's a street preacher screaming the nonsense to everybody in earshot I'll usually stop and have a conversation with him. Not to change his mind because we all know what a colossal waste of time that is but for other people that might be listening. I keep it calm, and I bring it down to his faith that his beliefs are correct and then I demonstrate how faith is a terrible way to know if you're right about anything.

I tend to ignore it. They usually have their mind set. I do not prefer to argue with people who can make so many excuses for such obvious not good things. But I guess everyone is free to have their opinions.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 4, 2017

Nobody wins an argument

The sequel was better.

LOL

so is ever other religious book

Anyone mentioning "The Good Book" is about to get an ear-full of my exploits on Facebook.
If they clarify that they meant the bible, well, I still 'em about authors, their preferred version, contradictions and all that other happen horse... Stuff.

In a way it is a good book. From what I can tell it's a training manual on how to be a decent human being as long as you don't take the parables seriously and realize they are open to interpretation with time. We don't stone per miscues women or keep slaves anymore.

So why would this god command evil and horrorable acts sound like you may be picking the part you like and tossing the horror stories. Correct me if them wrong. The we don't have slaves isnt because of the bible.. Slavery is supported in both old and new.
I would agree it a training manual but not for being good... Unless i pick the parts i liked and ignored the others

Like I wrote the bible, both new and old, are open to interpretation with time and knowledge. Now if you are a close minded a-hole (conservative bible thumping born again) then you will have a different interpretation than I would have, an open minded progressive.

So what your telling me you can ignore what it actual say and interpretate any way you choose.
Truth is truth and isnt based on any one person interpretation.. What if people standard got so low that math was based off ones interpretation. 4+4 could mean anything

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:663
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.