Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK The new ‘Star Trek’ has moments better than my best homilies | America Magazine

I've always had tremendous respects for the Jesuits.

Star Trek” has been around for almost 60 years. And while it has presented itself as a show about exploring strange new worlds, at its heart it has always been about elevating those who society has ignored or shunned—women, people of color, members of the L.G.B.T. community, immigrants, refugees, even national enemies (in the middle of the Cold War, Roddenberry included the Russian Chekov)—and insisting that they matter. We are the aliens for which we seek, and this beautiful and fragile existence would not be what it is without each of us.

TheMiddleWay 8 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting. With Picard season 2 and the new Strange New Worlds series episode 1, which I watched last night, it just might be that ST is getting its mojo back after the horrible Discovery show which I stopped watching.

Yes at its core are the Roddenberry values -- just -- including inclusiveness, but I am unable ever to forget that when watching ST that I'm watching thinly disguised propaganda from the American Military Industrial Complex. It's Paramount, after all - an extension of the Pentagon, which owned it and probably still does through corporate trickery. It never pays to take America at face value. I never have. America is very good at soft sell propaganda.

Wesley as a 'watcher'. Oh Jeez, really?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:664879
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.