Agnostic.com

2 0

2001 anniversary showings

Anyone as excited as I am to see the 50th anniversary 70mm theater showing of 2001: a space odyssey?

woodman13 2 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. Love that movie. Especially for the time it was made.

Personally I find 2001 to be probably the most over rated film of all time.
It is over long, meandering, pretentious, self indulgent, confused and ultimately unsatisfying in execution, delivery, philosophy and is needlessly Messianic.

I first saw it on the big screen on the ten-year anniversary cinematic re-release and was grossly disappointed. I watched it again in anticipation of its sequels and found my appreciation did not improve with age.

Though it undeniably had an influence on all that came after it within the genre, but is now largely known for being parodied for its faults, which are many, and the line "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that." delivered in the menacingly soothing tones of Douglas Rain.

To many younger science fiction fans with whom I have interacted and communicated it holds a place of grudging admiration at best and is treated as a kind of art film, that has to be acknowledged, but holds no real interest or enjoyment for modern fans, and I'm afraid I tend to agree.

For the themes it and its sequels attempt to address, I feel better served watching
"The Day The Earth Stood Still" 1951

the day the earth stoo still? So B class compared to tgecartustry oz 2001. But to each his own. Enjoy what you enjoy.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.