Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Kansas town to put 'In God We Trust' back on police cars—but there's a twist

You knew it was too good to last.

Two weeks ago, in Haven, Kansas, the city council asked the local police department to remove the “In God We Trust” decals from vehicles and to stop using their official Facebook page to promote Christianity. Council member Sandra Williams raising concerns about it, correctly noting that those were not the “forum to be talking about God.”

To his credit, Police Chief Stephen Schaffer said he would do whatever the council wanted him to do, even if he didn’t agree with it.

snytiger6 9 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ha, ha, ha. This could be fun to watch. It sounds like the town residents care more for godbothering than they do about constitutional freedoms.🤔

From the link

DeMars noted that the three “yes” votes were “hesitant.” The council members who flipped did so only after everyone agreed that “similar speech from any other religion (or lack thereof) can also be added to police vehicles.”
You know what that means: There will now be a race between American Atheists and The Satanic Temple to see who can be the first to supply the city of Haven with enough decals highlighting their non-theistic beliefs. I’ve contacted both groups to see what their plans are and will update this post if/when I hear back.

Update: The Satanic Temple’s spokesperson Lucien Greaves tells me they will have designs “ready by tomorrow.”

Update 2: Americans Atheists plans to send the city “E Pluribus Unum” stickers. President Nick Fish told me: “Certainly a phrase that speaks to how our nation—and our community—is stronger when we stand together would be more welcome than a divisive, exclusionary slogan that alienates almost a third of Americans.”

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:666795
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.