Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK The Powerful Iroquois Confederacy of the Northeast – Legends of America

Is the Iroquis Great Peace the inspiration for the USA 3 branches of government?

Specifically, what do you think of this assignation based on what this article states:

The concept that three branches of government helps balance power. Specifically:
Branch 1: Seneca and Mohawk tribes & Oneida and Cayuga tribes. A two house legislature.
Branch 2: Onondaga Tribe, could veto or break the ties in the two house legislature.
Branch 3: Female leaders of the tribes picked those who would serve in Branch 1 from their tribe. They could vote but not serve in either of the Houses. So, another totally different branch serving an independent service to the government.

This is not my assignation so I'll refrain from sharing my views until others have shared theirs.

TheMiddleWay 8 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I taught some of this, and, yes, I, and many others, believe there is a connection. Even Ben Franklin talked about the Iroquois and their loosely set up government. One can even attribute part of their fall from not sticking with some key tenets when differing tribes chose sides during the the American Revolution (most went British).

@TheMiddleWay I know about Montereau. There are many factors that do, or may, connect.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:667989
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.