Agnostic.com

1 13

The reeling gyroscopic effect of the Earth's spin.

"A pendulum clock brought from the equator to a northern country will run fast. Arctic rivers cut deepest into their right banks, and hunters lost in the north woods unconsciously veer to the right as the Earth turns beneath their feet.

"And in the north, the dangerous storms from the west often begin with an east wind.

"All of these things are related to the Coriolis, the reeling gyroscopic effect of the Earth's spin that creates wind and flow of weather, the countering backwashes and eddies of storms."

From "The Shipping News," the Pulitzer Prize winning book by E. Annie Proulx. She lives in Newfoundland and Wyoming.

LiterateHiker 9 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I once told my boss that I stayed home because the rotation of the Earth was making me dizzy.

Unscientific people can be so much fun to mess with.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.