Agnostic.com

2 9

I guess today is rant time for me. It helps me put off getting on that riding lawn mower.

Woodyfest is an annual folk festival in Okemah,Oklahoma where Woody was born. I've gone to it for the last 12 of its 20 years. 12 years ago $30 would get you a three-day pass to all the in town events and then you had to pay $10 a car load for parking at the evening Pastures of Plenty stage. I know everything's gone up and I didn't say a word when three day passes went up to 50 then 75. The year they went up to 75, a bank had donated a permanent stage so they didn't have to rent one every year. This year they went to 100 so I asked my friends who are local musicians that get to perform if they got a raise and they explained the that the Oklahoma musicians always perform just for the pleasure. This year's lineup has three or four more out of state musicians but the rest are all Oklahoma guys. I wouldn't mind paying more if I knew the musicians were getting most of it because musicians deserve a living wage. Then reading the fine print I realize they're also offering VIP tickets which cost $250 and allow you to sit on the front three rows at every event. That definitely chapped me because everyone's supposed to be equal at Woodyfest. Oh and there was always a free venue at the Rocky Road Tavern with an open mic and most of the performers came and played a song or two there. This year you have to have an armband to get in there too.

Three day passes are no longer available at the prices I listed and I haven't even checked out two day passes. I kind of think I'm going to pass this year because it would just seem so phony standing up at the end of every night's performance and singing "This Land is Your Land".

I did buy a ticket to another show that features most of the Oklahoma performers and did that gladly. It seems ironic that a town that voted 80% for Trump ends up with a money making folk festival.

Lorajay 9 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not think that Woody would have been pleased to know that someone is making a lot of dough on his name, especially in an area who voted overwhelmingly for Trump. If you do not know the story, old man Fred Trump was Woody's landlord and he wrote lyrics about what that experience was like. Here is a link that explains some of it: [en.wikipedia.org] .

I suppose
Old Man Trump knows
Just how much
Racial Hate
He stirred up
In the bloodpot of human hearts
When he drawed
That color line
Here at his Beach Haven family project[6]

Nothing surprises me anymore about Oklahoma.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:669006
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.