Agnostic.com

1 7

"Seven reasons why you should intensify your relationship with green and public spaces

1. Mental Health: Contact with green spaces is associated with lower risk of stress and psychiatric conditions such as depression and anxiety. There is growing evidence for the beneficial effects of green space on mental health linked to improvements in behavioural development.

2. Brain Development & Cognitive Function: Long term exposure to green space can reduce the risk of behavioural and emotional problems and enhances cognitive development, including improved attention and working memory. Green space can play an especially crucial role in children’s brain and cognitive development.

3. Other Non-communicable Diseases: Contact with green spaces is associated with lowered risk of cardiovascular conditions, diabetes, obesity and lower back pain. Considering that non-communicable diseases are responsible for the equivalent of 71% of all deaths globally, the global benefit of more accessible green spaces could be huge.

4. Mortality: More green space in residential areas is associated with reduced all-cause premature mortality because of lower exposure to air pollution, people doing more physical activity, stronger perceived social engagement, and a reduced risk of depression.

5. Pregnancy Outcomes: Access to green space is positively associated with increased length of gestation, reducing the risk of preterm birth, infant mortality, and negative long-time outcomes during childhood and beyond.

6. Perceived General Health: More contact with green spaces has been consistently associated with an improved perception of general health and also subjective well-being — things like feeling more happiness and satisfaction with life.

7. Reduced hospitalisation and recovery time: Exposure to green space helps to avoid hospitalization due to the development of healthier physical and psychological conditions, and reduces the recovery period after treatments and operations."

Aside from the physical and mental health benefits provided by green spaces and trees in cities, they can also play a key role in mitigating the effects of environmental threats such as climate change and biodiversity loss — naturally cooling streets and homes, and providing precious habitat to local wildlife and insects.

Question: Who here lives or has lived in an urban environment? I have lived in two urban locations.

[greenpeace.org]

AnonySchmoose 8 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I grew up close to an urban environment, but lucky for me with a view of the mountains and the water. Nearly everywhere I've lived, I've felt most comfortable with a view of a greenbelt, mountains, water, etc., and within a short walk from forest trails or flowing water. Now that I've moved into an area even more surrounded by nature, I still seek out an hour each day to walk and contemplate my little being in the vastness of the natural world... I do so for my sanity. I guess also for my health and happiness.

I've felt confused and oppressed within cities, if I was
without time or simple access to visit green places.
Green areas definitely are vital, non-oppressive and healing.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:669030
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.