Agnostic.com

8 1

Do you live in a small town? Have you ever had a run in with the religious locals?

How do you deal with both that type of situation and just living in a town with a very religious community? Even most of my friends attend church in this town, so at times I feel like I'm the only non-religious person around here. Have you felt that before? If so what have you done to deal with it?

NachtKoenigin 3 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been to Dahlonega. I think there was a mine I visited there and they had some great little restaurants in town. I moved from a small town in NY and no longer wanted to be in such a small town away from going down the street to pick up what I needed. I do like Helen, GA as I come from a German family. In fact, I am planning a short trip down there this summer as I haven't been down there in quite some time.

I lived and worked in a town of about 1000 in Indiana that was populated mostly by German Baptists. THey wore religious uniforms. I lived in Gadsden Alabama of Roy Moore fame.I now live in northern New Mexico at the base of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. I have had no run ins with the local in any of these places or others because of my thoughts. THeir thoughts are their own, mine are mine and I don't think there is any reason to proselytize (sp) to them so there is no problem. If they happen to say anything to me about their beliefs I behave like one of those dogs in the rearview mirror with randomly bobbing heads.

Yes I ve been dealing with something they call power washing or a interruption raising a 5 or riding a 5 being persecuted for something called left keys l. 17 years

I avoid religious people by avoiding people.

Grew up in a big town, moved so deep into the woods there was no town, now I’m the new guy inside a small town … and wondering the same.. I’ll admit, while noticing the weekly obituaries, it must be getting better…

The young folks I meet give me hope, though most of them are looking to leave.. I’m trying to keep my mouth shut, but one good letter to the editor can pretty much end your anonymity. Seems a network of like-minded people can save you, mine have become the local Democrats. Librarians are generally cool. Places ‘like this’ are (hopefully) an oasis of sanity.

Varn Level 8 Dec 5, 2017

Once lived in a town of about 2300 in Arkansas, more churches that I care to count, I would get up early Sunday morning, and go to a larger town like Ft. Smith and spend the day.
One of the other little fun notes for the town I lived in, it was a dry county, it really made life suck, since I worked nights, I would stay overnight in Ft. Smith and buy Whiskey and Beer before returning to my sleepy little hamlet.

Yeah, I do live in a small town. As far as I know, I've not had a run-in with the religious locals, but... I have religious family members I consider enemies who might have worked behind the scenes to screw me over, because they "know everyone." Like you, I feel as though I'm the only non-religious person around here. I'm sure that's not the case, but I have no really good idea how to meet these folks, especially since I'm introverted and have a general distrust of people.

I live in the largest city outside NYC, NY....and believe it or not I find almost daily one or two "debrained" individuals who call me all kinds of names for not believing in God. These people put a fun note in my day. LOL

I drive as a part time job, hauling from SW Virginia as far as Maryland. After passing hundreds of ‘trump-pence’ signs ..I’d begin to notice HRC bumper stickers. Damn, thought I - I want hug these people! I didn’t want go home, actually hanging out with a warehouse crew of youngsters till dark … then back to the blue ridge..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6714
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.