Agnostic.com

1 11

Celebrating loving fathers. Claire's dad taught her to play tennis.

I included this darling photo in Terry's Father's Day card. Wrote Terry a heartfelt, appreciative letter celebrating him as a wonderful father.

Recently a friend gave me this picture of Claire, 5-1/2, and Michael, 4-1/2, in a tennis lesson with Claire's dad. Now retired, he was a teacher and high school tennis coach. Terry started Claire at age-3 hitting balloons with a small racquet.

Look at her tennis skills! Stepped in to catch the ball while Michael stood flat-footed. Up on her toes with knees bent. Eyes on the ball. Two-handed smash.

In junior high, she started group and private tennis lessons at the tennis club. She played in competitions starting at age-eight. Signed herself up. Terry and Claire played tennis together every Sunday.

She first beat her dad at age-14. Boy, was she excited!

"I got him down to match point," Claire said. "Then Dad did what he taught me. Straightened his strings. Drank water. Took deep breaths. Stretched. To throw off my rhythm."

"That won't help, Dad," I called across the court. That made him mad! He served the ball as hard as he could. I returned it right in the corner of the court. He coudn't reach it. I won!"

"Kathleen, I couldn't catch that ball if I had WINGS," Terry later said. "I'm so proud of Claire!"

Claire went on to play varsity doubles tennis for four years in high school. Like her dad.

"I HATE playing Wenatchee!" girls wailed, running off the tennis court after being beaten by Claire. She's left-handed like Terry and me. When lefties hit a ball or throw a frisbee, it spins in the opposite direction. Hard to return. Plus she has perfect ball placement.

At age-32, Claire enjoys playing tennis twice a week. She is teaching the father of a girlfriend to improve his tennis skills.

"Are you destroying him on the tennis court?" I asked. "No, if I did that he wouldn't play with me," Claire replied. Smart girl.

LiterateHiker 9 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672203
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.