Agnostic.com

2 1

It is part of the logic of individualistic modern societies (with a certain tendency toward individual and collective narcissism) to celebrate minorities. Where emancipation and individuality are central values and goals, the minority becomes the ideal tribe.
And if this minority can present itself as oppressed in some way, all the better!

In societies in which self-realization and self-fulfillment become the supreme goals for the individual, everyone wants to be a member of a minority, but no one wants to be the majority, the mainstream.
Minority protection thus becomes the key norm of narcissistic affluent societies.

Matias 8 July 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The narcissism we see in society is more a product of capitalism, where it is encouraged to step on others on your way up to the top of the heap, the reward material wealth ie self enrichment is the goal.

We really are in 1984, where double speak rules. No-one wants to be normal anymore as you say, instead identify to their individual group, perhaps only themselves. "Lethal Aid" is the current one I like most. But Victoria's slogan at the start of the pandemic, "Staying apart keeps us together" still cracks me up.
I mean WTF does "Freedom" actually mean in 2022?

puff Level 8 July 7, 2022

On what logic do you base this statement?

I'm part of the mainstream majority in many ways and I don't really care, neither am I looking to be classed as oppressed although there are many changes I would like to see to improve society for the benefit of both me and others.

I generally find minority protection to be a good thing because being in a small group/demographic often means you can be ignored or overlooked. It's also related to one of government's functions (I believe) which is protecting the weak or oppressed, who are often members of minorities.

You only have to look at the treatment of women in countries like Saudi Arabia and the US to see how things get when the rights of all are not protected.

It makes logical sense to me. We Americans do love underdogs.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675648
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.