Agnostic.com

3 20

A Eurasian Collared-Dove is nesting right outside my bedroom window.

One egg so far. The clutch is usually two eggs.

The dove built her nest in a shady crotch of a tree on the north side. My bedroom is on the second floor. She is just below my eye level facing the window.

Decided to give her peace and quiet. Realized if I keep the blinds slightly ajar and move slowly, she stays on the nest.

I tried to take a picture of the dove. She flew off the nest. Don't want to disturb her.

I will probably see the whole process from egg laying to fledging. Incubation is 16-17 days. Exciting!

LiterateHiker 9 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As RichCC noted they are also a problem here in WA. Pushing out the native doves.☚ī¸

Those are big pretty birds but they're running out the much smaller native White-Winged Doves from Southern AZ.

When we were staying in Mesa taking care of my father (and apparently even before) they dominated the bird population in the Valley. There they are called Ring-Necked Doves and are considered an invasive species. They are pretty though.

In the city we also saw Quail and Mexican Love Birds. The Love Birds were interesting because they always seemed to come in pairs (or rather groups of pairs). You never saw an odd number. Ha, ha.🙂

RichCC Level 8 July 15, 2022

Speaking of quail... My wife just saw a good sized family of ~3/4 grown chicks crossing the driveway circle in front of our house. She said she'd never seen such a large group of almost grown chicks together at once. There were at least a dozen.

Obviously we're not in Mesa any more. Prescott at 5000ft is about 20 degrees cooler this time of year. But we're just as dry give or take a little monsoon (Starting this week? Fingers crossed.)

The wildlife has been more scarce lately. The coyotes, raccoons and even the skunks seem to have moved on. Maybe the quail are getting less pressure so they might be doing better -- at least temporarily.

Keep us posted. Photos would be good.

@Fernapple

Yesterday I tried to take a picture of the dove. As I raised my phone, she startled and flew off the nest.

Don't want to disturb her.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676856
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.