Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK Why it’s as hard to escape an echo chamber as it is to flee a cult | Aeon Essays

An ‘echo chamber’ is a social structure from which other relevant voices have been actively discredited. Where an epistemic bubble merely omits contrary views, an echo chamber brings its members to actively distrust outsiders. In their book Echo Chamber: Rush Limbaugh and the Conservative Media Establishment (2010), Kathleen Hall Jamieson and Frank Cappella offer a groundbreaking analysis of the phenomenon. For them, an echo chamber is something like a cult. A cult isolates its members by actively alienating them from any outside sources. Those outside are actively labelled as malignant and untrustworthy. A cult member’s trust is narrowed, aimed with laser-like focus on certain insider voices.

In epistemic bubbles, other voices are not heard; in echo chambers, other voices are actively undermined. The way to break an echo chamber is not to wave “the facts” in the faces of its members. It is to attack the echo chamber at its root and repair that broken trust.

zblaze 7 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think you summed up religion very well with your post. All religious sects are cults. It's the matter of exceptence by society. I belonged to the baptist cult for long time and finally broke free 2.5 months ago.

Congratulations freedom41.

I hadn't heard of this terminology or Thought Experiment. Cool read! Thanks for the share.

Oh, aye, but I think it's easier to escape one's home than it is to escape a guarded compound, no matter how introverted one is. ?

Amen. And there are some of those on the left as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67773
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.