Agnostic.com

5 10

Only Eight

There are only eight extant species of hominids left on Earth, including three species of orangutans, two gorillas, the chimpanzees, bonobos, and us. That’s it.

The chimps and bonobos are classified as endangered. The gorillas and orangutans as critically endangered.

That is mostly due to human activities such as habitat destruction and hunting.

skado 9 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think we can count humans as endangered. Most folks prefer to ignore that fact…which will facilitate the end of us. Hopefully before we’ve “done in” the rest. Eventually, the planet will heal itself, but will anything besides plants survive?

…or even them?

@skado I do believe our demise will be soon enough to save some at least.

you forgot the chumpanzees. unfortunately not endangered.

Considering US & British behaviour the last few 100 years I suggest that homo sapiens is also severely endangered.

it won't be long until her materteral and avuncular friends in this zoo create a new world where we kick back and enjoy the last half a billion years here.

You do the most harm to those who are nearest sadly. And I do think that the idea of rights, although questionable at its philosophic base, works well in practice, and should be extended to the other apes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:678039
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.