Agnostic.com

6 3

Pope Francis: Pontiff says he is 'deeply sorry' to Canadian residential school survivors

[bbc.com]

xenoview 8 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Does he mean he is sorry they survived and did not keep their mouth shut, or he is deeply sorry for the fact they are all going to burn in Hell for turning on the church and god's representative on earth?

There is plenty of blame to go around The US has been slow to acknowledge its guilt, as was Canada. There are no clean hands.

[apnews.com]
[indiancountrytoday.com]
[rpl.hds.harvard.edu]

Thank you for posting these. At another time in my life, I would have expected this to be front-page news, but I rarely talk to anyone who's even heard of residential schools.

@Lauren I first became aware of the schools reading the Jim Thorpe story, but I really started to see the Apartheid element in 1974 at the South African pavilion at Expo 74. They were white washing what they were doing in SA, but I saw the same thing happening in the Indian reservations around Spokane and through out the west, with the same explanations that the South Africans were using.

@glennlab Wow, that far back! And an apt connection.

If not for Canadian friends, I would probably be fairly oblivious. But those were stories of abuse, "disappearances," and graveyards of aborted babies. It was only the last few years that the mass graves have confirmed that the more outlandish claims were more than stories, and I'm appalled yet not surprised.

@Lauren being a liberal in Eastern Washington was just as outlandish as being a liberal in East Texas or South Louisiana, and people were willing to talk to someone that they thought would listen to their stories. I found many of the stories hard to believe, now I realize that they weren't telling the more horrid tales.

This was the North American apartheid, plain and simple. It wasn't just the church, but the churches and the national governments acting in collusion.

So true. I've found Trudeau's response ineffective, but at least he's acknowledged it, whereas it's staying buried quite deeply here.

Over 3,000 dead children and so many more tortured and abused is "a disastrous error"? And we haven't even begun digging in the US. How fucking magnanimous of him to concede that.

Lauren Level 8 July 26, 2022

Well, that makes everything better. Now he can sleep tonight.

I'm not usually charitable toward the Catholic Church, but the pope might really care ... just not be able to do anything about it. That era ended before he was the boss. And the Catholic Church must be running out of money by now. They can't handle any new victims right now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:678412
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.