Agnostic.com

2 3

This is one of the oldest streets in my town; a street of the Barbican, Plymouth, England to be precise. It's a tiny part of Plymouth but attracts many visitors including those from abroad. We also have the Mayflower Steps on the Barbican from which the Pilgrims are believed to have finally left England aboard the Mayflower, before crossing the Atlantic Ocean to settle in North America on 6 September 1620.

Ryo1 8 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love seeing photos of England. Some of my ancestors lived there, but I've never been. That is a pretty street!

It looks beautiful. Is it Victorian style homes and streets?

Yes. It's such a common street scene in England that Brits take it for granted, but visitors appreciate it very much.

I think some may be even older than that.

@Fernapple

That is wonderful. Looks very different from the neighborhood where I grew up

@St-Sinner Knowing this is a scene from your motherland (and I have walked through places like that for real in India), no personal offence to you by finding your photo funny.

@Ryo1
Looking back I cannot believe I lived through and this kept my sanity. Not much has changed since the '60s. that is the sad part. This is the country's most prosperous state, imagine what other Northern states are like. I saw many towns and people in despair. Every town has a political leader's big statue, parks named after him - all funded by the governments but all in poor condition with people in poor conditions.

If anyone wants to read what it is like... visit Jaisalmer in the Rajasthan state - which has very hot weather and has the largest desert. I visited the fort of the kings. I went up to see famous, great, large fort. It had many great halls, rooms and was told that the royal family lives there in half of the castle during the winter and in London for the rest of the year. Everything was lavish with lots of servants. As soon as you come down to the ground, there are people who are unemployed, poor and in despair. I asked the tour guide, what was the industry here? What were the main jobs? He said only tourism and if anyone was lucky would have a government job. I saw absolute hopelessness in the streets in Dec 2018.

@St-Sinner I have friends and relatives in India. Most of them live in Mumbai. I was once invited to a friend's wedding reception there, a few years ago now. She is from a privileged background and her parents really enjoyed boasting about the huge, extravagant wedding ceremony and reception they coud afford. When the guests (hundreds of them) started leaving, I saw waiters and waitresses collecting the food leftovers, eating some, and wrapping some in paper napkins and putting it in their pockets and bags. I was told that they were all poor, so that was a great opportunity for them to fill their stomachs and save some for their families. It is good that they don't waste food but the reason why they do it is very sad. I witnessed the huge gulf between the rich and the poor in different contexts while I was there though my stay was only for 10 days. 'That's just the way things are at the moment.' is the reply I got from my friends and relatives when I questioned.

@Ryo1

There are two Indias, one for the top 2% and rest is 98%. I am describing the 98%.

If you belong to the top, the life can be better than anywhere in the world with household help/servants for everything will ever need - cooking, cleaning, chauffer, laundry, office work, personal work (like banking, groceries, licenses) at very low prices. For example you can get a cook for 5 days a week for $100 per month. You can easily live with all these things for under $3,000. This would make a you a rich man if you have a place to stay. If you don't add another $700 to $1,000 pm.

People in India have learned how to work around terrible things. For example just employ someone to stand in line, pay bribes to get things done in government offices or don't roll the car windows down to avoid pollution or live in an affluent and safe areas for security. People don't have an alternative. No matter how miserable the place, we all learn to live, so do people in Cuba and Somalia.

I have learned the trick of the dos and don'ts of India. I plan to spend 6 months there starting 2023 and not spend more than $3,000 pm. This will include everything mentioned above. If you know the work-arounds, the land is very enjoyable with big diversity of cultures, languages, dances, arts, music, cuisines, festivals, long and rich history, monuments etc. Just stay out of corrupt government's hair.

@St-Sinner Yeah, I'm all for the culture, history, etc. of India. I would definitely go there again. Spending 6 month in India sounds great. 🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:679520
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.