Agnostic.com

1 2

After the heinous attack on Salman Rushdie by a Muslim fanatic, Rushdie's sentence "What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist" is now often cited.
But we must not forget that freedom of expression in our Western societies is today threatened less by Muslim fanatics than by home-grown "Mullahs", ironically calling themselves "Progressives". They are constantly offended and demand that the offenders be silenced. I suppose that the progress their name alludes to is that the punishment they want to see meted out is not death but the destruction of the reputation and / or career of the person who dared to use his or her freedom of expression in a politically incorrect way.

Matias 8 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see people I respect saying such, but I don't know how they (you?) reconcile their commitment to free speech with their apparent desire to silence the PCers.

skado Level 9 Aug 13, 2022

@Matias
I think most people who would call themselves progressive would favor free speech. To my thinking, the noisy battle over cancel culture is just the spat-du-jour between extremist social media identity tribes.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:681375
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.