Agnostic.com

3 2

Has the state of Nebraska gotten it right?

Nebraska is the only state in the union with a unicameral legislature.

Members of this legislative body are called Senators and are limited to two consecutive four year terms. The legislature consists of only 49 Senators and is non-partisan. That is, they do not list party affiliation on the ballot.

Nebraska also limits their U.S. Senators and Representatives to two terms.

This has been proposed in at least 21 other states over the years but has failed to pass each time. I believe these proposals fail because politicians are loathe to vote themselves out of their cushy positions.

Is this a good idea for other states to adopt? What would be the pros and the cons.

dumasarok 7 Aug 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Would it make us all behave more like Nebraskans? If so then I'm against it. Ask Johnny Carson what he thought about them (mom was a piece of work).

Newly elected politicians need lots of help learning the ropes and the rules. Lobbyists become their best friends.

Campaign finance reform and stricter lobbiest rules are the only thing that I think would really make a difference.

I see nothing wrong with someone dedicating their life to working towards a better country. I see lots of things wrong with part-time legislators who have to take money on the side as quickly as possible because they know this is their short window of opportunity.

Well it has had no effect on increasing progressiveness as Nebraska is one of the most conservative states.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:681473
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.