Agnostic.com

5 5

Go meat free….

Jolanta 9 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

its good for the bod and the planet to go meat free a day or two

I've also been a vegetarian for over 20 years. I originally gave up meat and poultry because I saw enough videos from factory farms to make me physically ill. The way the cows, pigs and poultry are mistreated in the food chain is heartbreaking. Then I also saw how sheep are abused in the wool industry, and elephants slain for their tusks and monkeys tortured in the name of research. I simply can't support such horrific cruelty on any level.

Since I switched to a plant based diet, my fibromyalgia symptoms have eased, my bloodwork is exceptional for my age, and I have more energy. My weight has stabilized at a healthy level and I feel 20 years younger than my age. There are certain things I miss, but at least I can sleep at night night knowing that I don't contribute to the atrocities that plagued my conscience.

I've been a vegetarian for 20+ years, but during 2020 I was eating lots of takeout to help support local restaurants and I wasn't feeling well at all — lethargic, brain fog, weight gain. So, in early 2021, I went fully whole-foods, plant-based (WFPB) nutrition. Rarely, I'll deviate, but 99% of my diet is unprocessed plants (although I do use a fair amount of salt and olive oil, which technically aren't WFPB). My energy shot way up, my mental clarity returned, and I shed a lot of weight. I've also adopted an intermittent fasting schedule, though I still eat plenty — but I'm just more mindful now of what and when I eat. I weigh less now than I did since junior high, which astounds me. I've been exercising some, too, mostly walking/hiking, but I want to start adding some dedicated strength training (some weights but mostly calisthenics, I think) to my routine to help preserve/gain upper body strength in particular. Adopting WFPB made me realize just how bad my nutrition had been, even as a vegetarian when I thought I was eating so healthily. Cutting almost all industrially processed foods, as well as almost entirely eliminating eggs and dairy and added sugars, has been an eye-opener for me. I do, of course, still adhere to vegetarian habits, but consider it a necessary-but-not-sufficient element of healthy eating. (That's my lesson only for myself, of course. Your mileage may vary.)

I was a vegetation (vegetarian lol) years ago, and then I broke up with my girlfriend. The first thing I did was run to get a cheesesteak. Boy it tasted good. I'll never give up my meat. It made me happy. Healthy? You gotta die of something.

Nice to know you were a vegetation, presumably in a former life, were you a forest, a grassland, or a bunch of seaweed ?

@Fernapple All of the above. I'm now just a typo machine.

How long were you a vegetarian? My experience has been that certain meats still seemed appealing, especially when I'd smell barbecued chicken, but for the most part meat was unappetizing — and the smell of bacon is downright revolting to me. The other day I smelled chicken in my office, and now that as well seems to be unappealing. But, I've been strictly vegetarian for 20+ years, so I've had plenty of time to rewire my tastes.

@resserts My girlfriend got me to go veggie and I was kind of into it. The day we broke up I made a clean break from the food as well. Had a five year relationship with her and not eating meat. Currently I'm thinking of going all carnivore. I could do that.

@barjoe Oof! All carnivore sounds rough to me. Even when I was an omnivore, I enjoyed my fruits, roots, nuts, and grains too much to go 100% meat. Today, I can't even imagine giving up my plant-based foods.

@resserts I would try it. It's supposed to be good for you. Bacon, eggs, steak, lamb, pork, fish and seafood? Fruit, roots, nuts and grains? If I were given a choice of going completely meat free or all meat? I'll pass on the seeds, nuts and berries

@barjoe More power to you — sincerely. I don't think I ever enjoyed meat enough to make it my entire diet. I don't think I could have given up potatoes, tomatoes, onions, apples, oranges, bananas, and grapes. I'm not big on seeds, but I definitely like peanuts, almonds, pistachios, and other nuts. I don't eat much bread anymore, even whole wheat, because its loaded with other refined ingredients, though I do eat a little whole wheat pasta (which doesn't have any other ingredients except whole wheat). But brown rice and beans/lentils are a common, and quick, meal for me. I also roast a lot of vegetables, and love a roasting pan full of potatoes and/or sweet potatoes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, and sometimes carrots, cauliflower, and/or onions. There are other root vegetables I've tried, but potatoes and sweet potatoes are the ones I come back to. (Aside: I didn't really like sweet potatoes for years, until I started eating WFPB nutrition about 18 months ago, and my tastes shifted a lot. Now I eat them with some frequency, and they're part of a hearty soup I quite enjoy.) I also eat lots of garden salads with plenty of green, leafy vegetables. But all I'm really saying here is that meat doesn't appeal to me as much and my tastes lie elsewhere, and I have enough variety in my diet that I never feel bored or as though I'm depriving myself.

Or just eat a highly varied diet, don't eat the same things every day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:687164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.