Agnostic.com

5 27

Look who I'm going to mentor this year.

I feel honored. This is Coby, 17, with her little sister, 7. Coby was referred to me by her friend Alexandria, whom I mentored last school year. Coby and Alexandria played flute together in high school band, orchestra and marching band.

Alexandria is leaving on Sept. 21 for Univ. of Washington. With my help, she won $68,009 in scholarships. Alexandria plans to be a research scientist.

Coby has a 3.88 grade point average and plans to be a medical doctor or surgeon.

Coby will be 5th student who was referred to me by a friend I previously mentored. It's a big compliment. It's great. When this happens, the new student is more receptive and already has trust and confidence in me.

I will meet Coby and her mother at the "Mentor Meet and Greet" meeting at the high school on Sept. 26. We have been texting.

Since 2006, I have been a volunteer college mentor at the high school. I help low income students- mostly children of immigrants- write essays for college, financial aid and scholarship applications. They are the first person in their family to go to college.

The first student I mentored.

At age five, Yuliya immigrated with her mother from Russia to Wenatchee, WA. Although highly intelligent, Yuliya was put in special education for two years. The schools had no Russian translator.

"In special education I developed my creativity," Yuliya said. She also learned English. Yuliya speaks five languages and won national poetry awards in middle school. She took apart appliances to see how they work and reassembled. Before graduating from college, she had two job offers.

Yuliya became the first female civil engineer at Puget Sound Shipyards, WA.

Second photo: Yuliya and me in 2014. We stay in touch.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's awesome. It is so rewarding to help someone else be successful.

I remember coming to the realization that a life lived of and for oneself is most Un satisfying. Except to the narcissists.

Good for you. I don't watch agnostics. Com much anymore . I do enjoy some of your posts.

@Bigwavedave

Thank you so much. I appreciate you.

You are right. It is rewarding to help people in need.

We are lifting families out of poverty.

You are truly an inspiration. Too bad there isn’t more in this world like you……it’d be a much better place.

@CuddyCruiser

Thank you. As a Democrat, I have a strong public service ethic.

Thank you for all the hard work you do with these young women!

@xenoview

It's a joy. We are lifting families out of poverty.

"I'm a beacon of hope in my neighborhood," Teresa said in 2016. "I am inspiring my younger siblings and neighbor kids to stay in school, get good grades- don't drop out, get pregnant or join a gang- and go to college."

In 2021, Teresa and her brother bought their parents their first house.

Good for you for continuing you service to the community and the world.

Extra benefits here: A trumpsters worst nightmare is an intelligent, educated, empowered woman 🙂

@Mitch07102

I also help them register to vote when they turn 18.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:687214
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.