Agnostic.com

3 12

Hilaree Nelson’s body found after US ski mountaineer dies during Nepal expedition.

Hilaree Nelson, 49, was descending the world's eighth highest summit with her partner when she went missing on Monday.

Rescuers found her body on the south face of the 8,163m (26,781ft) peak on Wednesday. Earlier reports said she had fallen into a crevasse in a glacier.

Nelson was regarded as one of the finest mountaineers of her generation.

In 2018, she and her partner Jim Morrison became the first people to ski down Mount Lhotse in Nepal, the world's fourth-highest peak.

She is also the first woman to climb both the world's highest mountain, Everest, and Lhotse, which is adjacent, in a single 24-hour period.

Morrison and three Sherpa guides were dropped by helicopter to recover Nelson's body from about 6,000m on Manaslu on Wednesday morning, expedition organisers said.

"The body has been brought to base camp. After completing necessary legal procedures, it will be airlifted to Kathmandu," said Jiban Ghimire, managing director of Shangri-La Nepal Trek, the Kathmandu Post reported.

Earlier helicopter search attempts had been unsuccessful, and hampered by bad weather.

On the same day Nelson went missing, one person was killed and more than a dozen injured in an avalanche lower down on the same peak.

Watch the amazing North Face video of Hilaree Nelson and Jim Morrison climbing and skiing down the face of Mt. Lhotse, next to Mt. Everest, Nepal.

[seattletimes.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This was back in 2011 but this is the daughter of a friend of mine. So many losses.

[spokesman.com]

@Larimar

I remember that. So sad. Young people die foolishly glissading down Aasgard Pass in early Spring snowmelt every year. Ice cold water runs beneath the snow.

"The last thing I heard from my wife was her dying scream as she went over the cliff," her husband said.

Several years ago, it was a 21-year-old Chinese student of Univ. of WA. He fell into a crevasse and died. Imagine how his parents feel.

Always from out of town. They don't check the conditions. Locals know how dangerous it is.

Look up Washington Trail Reports: Aasgard Pass.

When you are born with a silver spoon and loads of cash to play with, regular life experiences become boring.
Risking you life by climbing Mount Lhotse in Nepal and skiing down could cost between $35k to $50,000 per person.

As sad as this is she was doing what she loved.😔

@silverotter11

I feel sorry for Hillaree's two children, age 7 and 11. Jim Morrison said he will take care of them.

But Jim Morrison is an extreme mountaineer and skier like their mother. The kids need somone who's not risking his life all the time. It will make them feel anxious and fearful.

They need a stable person. Hope Hillaree's parents are a good choice to care for their grandchildren.

@LiterateHiker With you on that. But since she had those young children, she should not have been there. When one decides to be a parent, it comes with an at least 18-year commitment to put the needs of the children before one’s own. And don’t give me any crap about “she could have died in a car accident on any day”, because she didn’t, she died pursuing a dangerous personal interest…and perhaps fame.

@MsKathleen

I agree. When my daughter was born, I dowshifted risky behavior.

Avalance danger, knife-edge trails, or too icy and steep?

"It's too dangerous," I say. "I'm turning around." or "We don't have the right equipment."

Disappointed hiking partners? I don't care.

@LiterateHiker And yet, if she had been a man we probably would not have had these thoughts.

@MyTVC15 Maybe you wouldn’t have, but I would. I didn’t say “mother”; I said “parent”.

@LiterateHiker THAT is responsible parenting.

@MsKathleen

Thank you.

@LiterateHiker Just to be clear, I was not saying that to be offensive. I agree that a parent should be more careful in their activities. However, my observations are that when something like that happens to a father the response is " oh those poor kids lost their dad, but they still have their mother" But when the woman is the one who took the risk and loses her life we are just a little more appalled. That is what I see happening.

@LiterateHiker All excellent points and exactly why I never reproduced. I think as long as she showed great love her kids might in the long run understand. It's a balancing act, an unhappy mom can be a real fucking bitch to live with, trust me I speak from personal experience.
On the other hand self absorbed parents can do a lot of harm.
Not knowing how she was off the mountain I can't speculate how her parenting skills were.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:688636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.