Agnostic.com

9 3

Old movies?

Just curious if anyone here is an old movie buff. I love the oldies.... All About Eve, The Third Man, Rope, The Bad Seed, and the like. I am a TCM junkie!

Misstressn 3 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Arsenic and Old Lace, Cool Hand Luke, It Happened One Night, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' In The Rain, The Magic Sword, Gunga Din, Destination Tokyo...

I guess when I was thinking old flicks I was thinking around '20 to "50. But I 'spose according to TCM, anything 20 yrs old or old or older is OK. Im not sure how I feel bout that.

Not sure what is considered old, but I love Mel Brooks movies. Young Frankenstein, Blazing saddles, Spaceballs. Classic

In anyone of his movies during that era, I could only imagine what the cast and crew would have been like off camera. Gene Wilder, one of my favorites.

I don't know how old you want to go, but if you like silent film I really liked Battleship Potemkin and it was very influential to future cinema (it invented the montage). Cabinet of Dr Caligari is really good too.

If you like Audrey Hepburn (and you should) then Wait Until Dark is a really good one. I'd also suggest Fiddler on the Roof, it's one of the few musicals I actually like.

Growing up in the 1960's and 1970's Movies were not all that Great to me. I liked the Science Fiction one's. Like (?) "How the Earth Stood Still or that other one from another Planet" (?) And 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. I am not fond of Movie Watching. Science Fiction is more into Horror & Evil with Villon's than the Adventures of Objective Investigations into Mysteries as it used to be. If by Old that is better then they are now.

I occasionally spend whole days watching old movies on youtube- I pick one, set the toggle to autostart the next video, and let youtube supply a rather random set of movies, or I collect a bunch of old movies on my Watch Later playlist and let that run for as long as the movies last. Lately I've been watching mostly noir/crime thrillers and films with Dirk Bogarde in them(he's cute, even if in real life he's WAY too old for me 🙂 ).

I may not be an old movie buff but I'm certainly old for sure!

I'm happy to see your first 3 movies. They're all "classics" or hall of fame type of movies. I like movies with pretty and beautiful women more so if they've got "it" - I easy fall in love with them like Nancy Kelly and Alida Valli and also Claire Bloom in The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. And I thought I've seen enough of Anne Baxter's bitchiness in the Ten Commandments till I saw All About Eve.

I just hope you didn't open my Pandora's Box with this topic cause I wanted to just "let sleeping dogs lie" LOL

I like old westerns like Shane. I like really bad 50's monster movies, the worse the special effects, the better. I like Spencer Tracy films like Adams Rib, Inherit the Wind, Father of the Bride. I also am a Twilight Zone addict.

My dad likes the movie Shane so much he compares his looks to Alan Ladd and me to, aaaaaahhhh - to Jack Palance!

My favorite among Spencer Tracy's movies is Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde not merely because of him but mainly because of the beautiful Ingrid Bergman. LOL
Spencer Tracy is on top of my list of best actors . . . next to Curly Joe DeRita. LOL
Seriously now, I never get tired of watching It's a Mad, Mad World coz of Spencer Tracy.

Have you seen Mel Brooke's History Of The World?

Mel Brooke's History Of The World and Monty Python's Life of Brian are my two favorite comedies.

Some of those endings on the Twilight Zone blew my mind. Talk about an unpredictable show. That's the sign of a classic show; nothing like it before, nothing like it since.

I think more of classic actors and watch movies they are int. Cary Grant, Clark Gale, Kathrine Hepburn, Gary Cooper, Myrna Low, Bogart, Gregory Peck, etc. Black and white seems to simply and intensify the emotions and stories portrayed... without spectacular special effects and explosions. Good stuff!

Yeah, Gary Cooper was elegantly handsome for a sheriff in High Noon.
And those famous lines by Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart: "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." and "Here's looking at you, kid"

High Noon is one of my favorite films. I often feel that I have as much backup in my life as he had in that film 😟

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:701
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.