Agnostic.com

2 15

“No matter the medicinal virtues of being a true friend or sustaining a long close relationship with another, the ultimate touchstone of friendship is not improvement, neither of the other nor of the self, the ultimate touchstone is witness, the privilege of having been seen by someone and the equal privilege of being granted the sight of the essence of another, to have walked with them and to have believed in them, and sometimes just to have accompanied them for however brief a span, on a journey impossible to accomplish alone.”
~David Whyte

( Book: Consolations - Revised edition: The Solace, Nourishment and Underlying Meaning of Everyday Words )

( Art: Photograph by Walter Sanders )

skado 9 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is lovely!

Does David Whyte also give examples of any journeys that cannot be walked alone?

If not I suggest that this is bs.

My father always taught me that there is only one person that I have to prove myself to and that person is me.

To think otherwise is merely being egotistical & I also suggest is egocentric for to do so is merely absorbing \complying with common belief even if wrong - like vaccinations & c19.

I don’t know anything about David Whyte beyond this quote, but for Homo sapiens, the journey of life is impossible to accomplish alone for longer than a few hours. It has nothing to do with proving oneself to anyone, including to oneself. Thinking that we don’t need other humans is what is egoistic.

@skado No matter how independent we may think we are we are dependent on many people for the provision of a variety of services.

@ASTRALMAX

Exactly that.

@skado My father's aphorism is a case of response to those comparing your ability to others. Not that a person is able to survive without the help of others.
Lol. My father didn't know one end of a hammer from another, a grease gun from a shotgun, and he never grew spuds but his blind sister taught him how to hang patterned wallpaper like a pro.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:702195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.