Agnostic.com

7 0

If you could obtain gene therapy to cure potentcial diseases would you opt for the procedure?

Marine 8 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If the procedure were proven.

I have Stargardt's Disease which is a rare hereditary eye condition, sometiems referred to as Juvenile Macular Degeneration. There is currently gene therapy research going on right now to find a cure. More promising is stem sell research going on locally at OHSU. However, in either case, I am nto willing to be the guinea pig subject while they are still experimenting. I want a procedure with a probability of success with some kind of track record.

Yes they are experimenting on human volunteer subjects. I just don't care to undergo any treatment until they know what they are doing.

I don't know but it sounds like messing with nature and there's normally a downside to that.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Absolutely.
This would even pay for itself in societal terms as there'd be far fewer productive days lost to illness. So the general wellbeing of everyone would increase as we increase the wellbeing of the chronically ill.
That's a purely utilitarian argument, but has been true every time we've increased the welfare of a marginalised group.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Predisposition to a disease does not guarantee you will get the disease! Sk, no, i would not.

I want it to make me physically twenty again. Theoretically, that would gvie me another 40 years of smoking, drinking, and carrying on - but this time I'd know what I was doing!

jeffy Level 7 Apr 30, 2018

So you'd smoke better stuff and drink the top shelf? 🙂

@RobAnybody Yes, and now I have the money and time to do it!

@jeffy Excellent.

Yes, If I could have it done to prolong my life. I look upon gene splicing as just an advance in medicine and not as trying to act as god as many evangelicals are stating.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70282
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.