Agnostic.com

5 9

My rant. Went to the ER Thursday for what turned out to be a couple of kidney stones. Got some meds and sent home with a Urology apt in a month and a half. Still haven't passed the first stone. I've got 1 pain pill left and can't get a doctor, ER, pharmacy, or urgent care to see me and prescribe me more pain medication. Looks like it's going to be a couple fun days for me. I may just drive up to the ER and start bitching but I doubt it will do any good. First world country and I can't even get a fucking pain pill for kidney stones. Fuck the healthcare system!

FvckY0u 8 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Move to a country with national health care and emergency health centres.
....... or vote for those who wish to establish it where you live.

I hope the situation is less dire today and you were able to get some pain relief. I don't know much about kidney stones other than their reputation as one of the most painful disorders to experience, but a friend swore by high doses of apple cider vinegar as something that helped him ease some of the pain. Good luck.

Unfuckingbelievable! I feel your pain ... er, maybe not ... LOL But seriously, I had a similar experience over the holidays that I was going to post about, but you beat me to it. I went to the ER on Tuesday, Dec. 27th with leg pain and stiffness. I feared blood clots, and that's what it was--multiple blood clots in my right leg. I was given some blood thinners and a prescription for a blood-thinning starter pack. I was also told to make an appointment to see my PCP by December 30th. First thing that happened was no local pharmacy had the starter pack, that I would have to wait for it to be ordered -- and it was on backorder. I don't know what I would have done if one of the Walgreens pharmacists hadn't taken it upon herself to find out what the dosages are in the starter pack and then assemble her own pack for me. So by the evening of the 28th, I at least had some meds.

So then I set about trying to get an appointment with my PCP. And I learned that since it was "the holidays," and nobody ever gets sick then, he was out of the country for two weeks. So I ask if he has a backup covering for him. "If it's an emergency, call 911 or go to the ER." Finally, after I asked the question, "Is this even legal???" an appointment with his nurse practitioner magically appeared. I see her tomorrow (a week later than I was told the appointment should have taken place). I will get to see his highness, the PCP, on the 11th.

Bear in mind that blood clots are a potentially fatal condition and that the ER doctor said that "this will have to be monitored very closely for the next six months." I know the healthcare system in this country is criminally dysfunctional, but this whole experience showed me closeup how bad it is. So I concur, FvckY0u: Fuck the American healthcare "system!"

Wow. That's outrageous. I'm still back on disbelief that they didn't admit you to the hospital to watch the stability of the clots and treat them more aggressively - which would have included blood thinners. That Walgreens pharmacist may have saved your life.

For all intents and purposes, we don't have a healthcare system, we have chains of triage that are available to the highest payer.

@Lauren Hell, I could have died in the ER waiting room if the clots had traveled. People with sprained ankles were being admitted before me. But considering it was "the holidays," when nobody is supposed to get sick, I suppose I was lucky the ER was open at all.

Better do whatever it takes to get the meds before you run out. Don’t worry what others think.

skado Level 9 Jan 3, 2023

Sorry to hear about that. But they may be more sympathetic than you think in ER, they are sure to know just how painful stones can be. Go and plead your case, what have you got to lose ?

@FvckY0u That situation is just totally unacceptable! I agree. They should be managing your pain much better than that. I hope you get what you need.

@FvckY0u I've heard that's right up there with the most painful things that a person can feel. Yes, they can access your records quickly, but there must be a certain level of incompetence there, which is more common than common sense. I hope things improve for you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:703349
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.