Agnostic.com

4 6

The Universal Clock of Aging

[nautil.us]

skado 9 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm really hoping that we figure this out before I die. I'm really interested in the idea of immortality,

At times, I had wondered if my hourglass had emptied long ago and that now I'm just living on borrowed time? Interesting read.

I have experienced that feeling!

Clever image, time does indeed hunger after your telomeres. (Though they are mostly at the ends of the strands not the middle).

But only those with dependents, who are usually young, have any real need to fear mortality, in anyone else it is just narcissism.

Anyone want to live forever?

I can’t predict what I might want after the first ten thousand years of life, but I can say with reasonable certainty that I’d rather be in control of the timing of my death than to have it controlled by happenstance.

@skado Exactly! But..how to judge the right timing? There's the question....

@pamagain
I don't think there would be any "right" timing. Like most other things in life - do it when you want to. If you don't want to, you don't have to. I have a hard time believing I'd ever want to, as long as I have reasonable health and freedom to control my life situation.

@skado I've been thinking about this issue a lot lately because I have at least five intelligent friends who have dementia. Seeing those brilliant, witty, compassionate minds disappearing is making me wonder what I'd do in their case.

Here's the thing...in order to qualify under ''death with dignity'' in California, you have to find doctors who will swear you'll die within six months. NOT possible under current medical practice. If you want to spare yourself a horrible end in some ''care facility''....you have to act while you still have the brains to do it...and that won't work under ''dwd'' laws. SUCKS.

So...it's back to jumping off a bridge.

@pamagain
Those are real concerns under current laws and circumstances, but presumably if we are able to cure death in the future, we will also be able to cure the disabling diseases.

I only want to live as long as I continue to have what I consider a quality life. If the future looks dismal, I’m checking out.

@skado Hmmmm....''cure death'' is something of a ''mixed blessing,'' isn't it?

@pamagain
People seem to have mixed responses to the idea for sure. I don’t think it would be a mixed blessing for people who enjoy living. I realize not everyone does, but it wouldn’t be forced on those who didn’t want it. If it becomes available, I bet most of those naysayers would give it a try though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:706551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.