Agnostic.com

4 9

While religion and spirituality are similar in foundation, they are very different in practice. Religion is an organized, community-based system of beliefs, while spirituality resides within the individual and what they personally believe.

Toyasexy 4 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While I respect some people see a difference between the two terms of religion and spirituality, I do not. Spirit is a word that is so connected to religious beliefs I cannot even think about using that about myself unless to say I showed some spirit as in put up a fight. Which is a physical process mentally and physically.

Spirituality implies there is something beyond our physical body to connect to. Unless it is the brain, I cannot relate to this. I just think both words are problematic for me as implying a belief in a higher force or power that somehow has control over our decisions or behaviors or health.

I have no spiritual side. I literally don't care about that word at all.

I do not like meditation, nor need it. I prefer physical exercise to focus and sleep to relax. A hot shower, again physical things.

I never understand why people confuse physical body responses and needs to a spiritual thing.

When you are tired, you need rest.
When your mind is ill, like your body, it needs rest.
When you are stressed from work, you need rest.

So many terms are thrown around for what is essentially the need for rest, therapy or healing. Healing for me means rest and time to recover, no spiritual implication at all to that word.

Healing to me is never spiritual, it is always physical or mental as the two are connected. But these are when the human body is alive. So I cannot separate or give new words for a biological state of being alive.

I just do not know why anyone needs the word spiritual. It literally describes mental processes by a physical brain that runs and regulates the mind and body. Why slap the term spiritual on it?

Peace and quiet is often confused for some sort of deeper need to slap a term on it that sounds religious.

Just how I view the words, as the exact same. Some sort of attempt to rebrand the physical experience of being alive as magical thinking.

Religion is an organization of superstitions with an endless preaching of broken parrots of sins. In a delusion of trillions of prayers, in hopes to change the results, which is the definition of insanity and pass regrets.

Spiritual is the 99% unknowns, until it's manifestation into the ego self. By reaching out and mastering within the ego from those spiritual unknowns. Expands our ego bubble to greater personal growth and opens up to other spiritual possibilities.

Spirituality has little to do with what each of us think as opposed to what we feel sans ego and other human elements of biology.

Wouldn't ego-driven thinking be brain related, thus, a physical and biological response? How is this spiritual?

@ClareCK Meditate and find out.

@rainmanjr no thanks. I am not spiritual and prefer lifting weights to center myself or ride a bike. Meditation is something I view as boring. It's a cultural popularity contest in America now to meditate. I achieved every single thing in my life from exercise, rest and focus. I do not need to meditate and never will. I have a doctoral level of education and use exercise for release of negative experiences and stress. I am tired of people thinking we all have to use the same methods in life for something. Exercise is my thing.

@ClareCK You go, girl.

They are mostly cultural views which can mimic societal culture of the individuals!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:707052
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.