Agnostic.com

2 7

Yesterday, was a sort of milestone – the launching of the last 747. In total 1,574 planes were built and this plane almost changed my life. When I graduated from HS Boeing was hiring. A neighbor gave me a tip on applying for a job. He said when they ask you what you want to do, say mock-up. I did and ended up in the electrical mock-up branch. I was making great money and dropped out of college because of time constraints. The Vietnam War was going full steam ahead but I didn’t think I was vulnerable. I was offered a military deferment if I agreed to move to Everett, Wash. and help with the 747. I refused and that decision made me face a draft notice and I ended up in the military. That scenario turned out to actually be a positive change I could never have imagined. Funny, how life works.
[npr.org]

jackjr 7 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here's the video of that last 747 taking off!

[fb.watch]

Thank you. I noticed a couple of other links. This plane is a cargo plane and will be carrying cargo. I wonder if the engines are different than the ones carrying people. While I was at Boeing I found some paperwork hidden behind some shelving about the B-52. This plane is even older then the 747 and is still being used. Of course the engineering was fantastic too bad the muckety-muck [merriam-webster.com] leaders were more concerned about money and stock holder profits than the companies reputation.

Sounds like you made the right decision for you. I lived near the Everett Boeing plant, when I was raising my family. (One of the largest buildings on earth, I think.)

I come from a Boeing family. My dad and uncle both worked at Boeing for most of their adult lives.

My dad was an aerospace engineer in the minuteman program. He made "Boeing Employee of the Year" once, and also got an award from President Reagan at the time.

I remember the roll out of the first 747 was a big deal! And subsequent planes, 777, etc.

My son-in-law works for Boeing currently. Loving planes, my daughter and son-in-law got married in the Museum of Flight near Boeing Field!

Seems I did and, at the time, didn't know how right that was. My dad worked briefly for Boeing as a tool designer for the ill fated SST program. Then I worked for a year and a younger brother has been working for the company for 30+ years as a robotical engineer.

That building is still touted as the largest building under one roof. It also doesn't have a heating or cooling system. All the machinery provide enough heat and, in the summer, the front and rear doors open and there is a breeze. One interesting fact is that the roof is so high that clouds form and it can actually rain inside.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:707649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.