Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK Noam Chomsky: Free Will, Moral Responsibility, Linguistics, Mental Illness, & the Meaning of Life

I wish Noam wasn't so monotoned but one must accept what is. While all is interesting the conversation gets great at the 51:00 stage. I do not think we have free will, so disagree with Noam, because our will is influenced and acted upon by information our conscious mind (the one which we observe) isn't aware of. For will to be free I think its origins must be known. But the concept of particles, or matter, having life agrees with Spinoza.

rainmanjr 8 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A very interesting video in which Noam Chomsky stated that there is no mind body problem. It is an artificial construct that largely owes its origins to Rene Descartes.

I disagree with his assessment that we have free will. I think our actions are based on sensory data, of which we are unaware of, and instincts rather than conscious weighing of options. That is why our brain makes a determination before our conscious mind agrees to do it. As for the body, I think that is an illusion as well. Our electron forms an idea of itself based on other particle information happening within the wave. It then begins forming a story within the illusion. That is why visualizing, or following of passion, so often bring results. Just like an Author writing a story it can't help but work out.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:707971
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.