Agnostic.com

2 2

Can ethics be based on science ?

Philosopher Mario Bunge, in his book "100 Ideas" writes:
"It is well known that some value judgments are subjective, while others are objective. For example, I cannot justify that I like Mozart much more than Bartok. I may be able to explain this preference in terms of my education, but I cannot give valid reasons. On the other hand, we can all give good reasons for preferring potable water to polluted water, justice to injustice, solidarity to selfishness, freedom to tyranny, peace to war, and so on.
In other words, there are objective and therefore justifiable values, as well as subjective ones, which are merely a matter of taste. This being so, it is possible and desirable to try to base axiology and ethics on science and technique, instead of maintaining that values and moral rules are purely emotional, or social conventions, or norms imposed by economic, political or ecclesiastical power.
"

Is he right? Is this possible?

Thibaud70 7 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

David Hume, himself a freethinker, formalized the fact vs value distinction which boils down to saying in more modern guise that science can inform but not determine ethics. An is remains insufficient on its own to justify an ought.

Without some outside intersubjective value system as a check, we might wind up with eugenics or travesties such as the STI experiments of Tuskegee and Guatemala.

And the hard-wiring of morality, if so, is insufficient to justify morality. This sort of morality limits itself to ingroups.

It is a common to the point of banality, for Christian apologists to state that. "You can not derive morality from science and reason." But of course you can quite easily, as my quote below makes plain. What the apologists are actually saying of course is, that you can not derive Christian ethics and morals, from science and reason, which is quite possibly true. But in doing that they are of course confusing the subjective elements of their own peculiar ethics, with ethics, some of which can be objectively derived, as a whole. Or perhaps just as Christians often do, assuming that Christianity is a synonym for good, and all that is not Christian is bad.

And it is highly unlikely that you could derive Christian ethics from science and reason, because why indeed would any sane and or reasonable person, want such a set of truly horrible ethics. With their anti-environmental, end of times, next world, position, their promotion of guilt, misogyny, anti-trade, anti-investment and their empirical racism etc. etc.

In short, it is wrong to confuse Christian with moral or ethical.

My quote which I think that you have had before.

"Do I want to be happy, safe, content and enjoy human dignity ? A. Yes. Am I more likely to be those things, if I live in a world where happy, safe, dignified and content, is the general rule for most people ? A. Yes. Then is it worth my while to make some investment in everyone else ? Of course."

Plus the thought that even if we are happy and prosperous now, Anyone may one day be at the bottom of the social pile. And therefore it is better for all, as insurance, if the bottom of the pile is not too bad a place to be.

A third reason, is simple animal instinct. We are social animals, and therefore things, including others, matter to us. Indeed all the moral systems in the world would not exist unless they were driven by some animal instinct and emotion, since reason alone with nothing to drive it, or aim for, produces nothing. Nobody started cooking because scientific evidence, or religious belief, made them think it made food healthier, or even showed them why they should value health at all. Nor would anybody have invented morality without some motivation, and if that does not come from god or some supernatural origin, then it must be hard wired into us, even though the outputs of that hard wiring may vary greatly between cultures." There are probably hundreds more ways to develop morals and ethics by science and reason alone, but those three will do for now.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but it seems that your ethics (or ethics as you see it) is not based on science (as Mario Bunge is arguing) but on your preferences, and science just provides the means to live according to your preferences (peace, happiness, health...). Is science for you not the foundation, but rather a tool?
Actually, I cannot see how ethics (not just the Christian variety but any kind of ethics) can be based on science (i.e. facts). Bunge is right that everybody prefers justice to injustice, but science cannot tell us what justice is, or what 'just' means in the first place. John Rawls' idea of an original position is not derived from science or experience, but from reason.

@Thibaud70 No I did not saty science, I said science and reason. I accept the need for philosophy indeed that is what my comment is about.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:714111
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.