Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK The Brights' Net - Who are The Brights?

I support this org and am, myself, a Bright.

With Brights everywhere, there is no dogma to which we are to be conforming, and no tithing imposed upon us. What we have instead is a shared year-round purpose and a couple of equinox fund appeals. The year-round aim is expressed in the tagline as something of a mantra for all Brights (to illuminate and elevate the naturalistic worldview as best we can). And this, right here, is one of the two annual equinox appeals⏳💸

rainmanjr 8 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have posted this group lots of times. This group once had in-person meetings and it was the first atheist group I ever joined. I'm still a contributing member. Words can matter, a lot.

I like the idea of it, but the name puts me off, as sounding egotistical or condescending toward others. With a different name, who knows, I might have really championed it when I first heard of the organization. My view is naturalistic, so I don't mind just saying that and I do when describing my world view to my clients.

Whenever words change people get upset and criticize. Wonder what the criticism was when, instead of homosexuality, we went to 'Gay'? I support this group and any group that counters any religious dogma and their branding through wording. I still dislike atheist. Non-theist or even Godfree sounds a lot better.

It was an attempt to rebrand skeptics/atheists/agnostics, like most rebranding it did not get very far, which is perhaps no bad thing. "A rose by any other name." May smell just as sweet, but too many words just add to the confusion.

It's still in operation

@rainmanjr Yes but going nowhere fast.

@Fernapple That's how everything is until it hits. I'm only offering it for consideration and you've done that. Other great orgs are HRC, ACLU, or the attempt to pass an ERA. I do not support one identity issue orgs, however, and urge others not to but I am not anyone's boss.

@Fernapple It has gone a long way from the beginning.

Languages evolve and will continue to do so. If we want the world a little more accepting of change and new ideas the words have to change to accommodate that end.

This goes back a while. I remember Dawkins and others promoted it. It sort of didn't really take off, as I recall, and became a bit of a butt of jokes. I'm not putting down the idea of it, but that's my recollection of it. I also think it about a decade ago and there was also an attempt to create Atheism+, combining atheism with progressive views. Richard Carrier was involved in that too. These things are hard to get going.

It's still going. I've only known of it for a couple years but the idea is much like my own. Improve success rate, for electing Dems, by funneling resources through one or two central ideas.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:714946
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.