Agnostic.com

4 3

One of the great problems of contemporary democracies is that the highest stage of identity has become individual identity, which is a consequence of the ideals of liberty.
The young generation has been educated to believe that society owed them a debt, and that their individual identity was a kind of sacred entity that could not be offended in any way. It is with good reason that Caroline Fourest entitled her book "Génération offensée".
An American or French student is more and more an individual offended by the slightest comment, the slightest criticism, the slightest bit of humor. The culture of freedom that created them as individuals has become their main enemy. Society owes them everything, but they owe nothing to society. They have ceased to be free because they have locked themselves up in their sacredness.

Thibaud70 7 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that is true yes, but of a lot of people. I would be wary of making it a generation divide, I know many people, perhaps most people, in my generation who are exactly like that.

I think the world has become a lot more narcky, and the internet has a lot to do with it. It's all about "me" now, and nothing is ever your fault. Keyboard warriors sprout vile and are hyper critical with absolutely no come back, safe in their anonymity. And it's the poor people who are not narcs, the ones with not only self awareness but aware that others also feel aka empathy, who can be devasted by this because they take things to heart. Talking about the young here, especially teenagers who are very self aware.
Banning personal electronic devices like phones for under 12's would be a very good idea imo. Force them to play and develop social skills. Lockdowns certainly did not help society spread the empathy, all about protecting me me me.

puff Level 8 Mar 22, 2023

The people in most of the fifty American states have no — zero — democracy.

I’m fortunate to have lived most of my voting years in the approximately eighteen states whose voters have some real democracy —- the direct initiative and recall referendum.

For info, visit ballotpedia dot org.

It's not just the young people who get offended like that, and there's no shortage of such individuals on this site for that matter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:715367
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.