Agnostic.com

4 0

One of the symptoms of the "age of narcissism" (Christopher Lasch, 1979) is that today everyone seems to be proud of something; "pride" is one of the key words of our time: one is proud of being white or black, of being a true Scot or a Quebecois, of being gay or straight or trans or non-binary, of being a supporter of club A or a fan of actor B, proud of being a Muslim or obese, etc....

It makes sense to be proud of a personal achievement: Karen can be justifiably proud of her PhD in chemistry, Pete can be proud of being able to run a marathon in under three hours, Mona can be proud of being fluent in four languages...
But it makes no sense to be proud of some contingent feature you over which one has no control. I am light skinned and was born in France, have green eyes and blond hair - none of this is the result of any effort or achievement of mine. How could I be justifiably proud of it?

But in the age of narcissism every person is unique and special and wonderful, and every feature or trait of every 'plain Jane' or John Doe must be unique and special and wonderful and a reason to be proud of.

Thibaud70 7 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pride like all words has no real meaning, but multiple usages, a short search on line turned up just one encyclopedia which gave seven or eight. Including.

1. satisfaction derived from one's own achievements

2. consciousness of one's own dignity

3. the quality of having an excessively high opinion of oneself or one's importance

The first I think is the one you are using. The second the one the people you are talking about are using, and which is perhaps best described as the state of not being ashamed of who you are, the negative of shame.

While the third is of course the negative form of pride itself, usual called the sin of pride, and a synonym for hubris or narcissism. And we probably do live in an age of narcissism, since in part we live in a religious or post religious age, and religions main role in human life was always to promote narcissism.

" You are so special: you will live forever, you have a special super powerful friend, you are given special understandings of the universe, not given to members of other groups, etc. etc. "

Which of course they traditionally did, because if you over inflate something like narcissism then it becomes a fragile bubble of empty pride, which has to be constantly protected, and inflated over and over again. Nobody is therefore needier than a narcissist, and nobody therefore keeps coming back for more, more reliably.

When the definition of pride is :

'confidence and self-respect as expressed by members of a group, typically one that has been socially marginalized, on the basis of their shared identity, culture, and experience'

do you have misgivings?

I am merely me. I leave it to other people form their own assessments of me.

Nationalism/ Patriotism fall under the same philosophy.

puff Level 8 Mar 23, 2023
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:715519
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.