Agnostic.com

5 6

It is a common to the point of banality, for Christian apologists to state that. "You can not derive morality from science and reason." But of course you can quite easily, if you don't believe me, try the three examples below, for a taste. What the apologists are actually saying of course is, that you can not derive Christian ethics and morals, from science and reason, which is quite possibly true. But in doing that they are of course confusing the subjective elements of their own peculiar ethics, with ethics as a whole, some of which certainly can be objectively derived. Three examples.

"Do I want to be happy, safe, content and enjoy human dignity ? A. Yes. Am I more likely to be those things, if I live in a world where happy, safe, dignified and content, is the general rule for most people ? A. Yes. Then is it worth my while to make some investment in everyone else ? Of course."

Plus the thought that even if we are happy and prosperous now, Anyone may one day be at the bottom of the social pile. And therefore it is better for all, as insurance, if the bottom of the pile is not too bad a place to be.

A third reason, is simple animal instinct. We are social animals, and therefore things, including others, matter to us. Indeed all the moral systems in the world would not exist unless they were driven by some animal instinct and emotion, since reason alone with nothing to drive it, or aim for, produces nothing. Nobody started cooking because scientific evidence, or religious belief, made them think it made food healthier, or even showed them why they should value health at all, they did it because it tasted better. Nor would anybody have invented morality without some motivation, and if that does not come from god or some supernatural origin, then it must be hard wired into us, even though the outputs of that hard wiring may vary greatly between cultures.

There are probably hundreds more ways to develop morals and ethics by science and reason alone, but those three will do for examples. Though it is highly unlikely that you could derive Christian ethics from science and reason, because why indeed would any sane and or reasonable person, want such a set of truly horrible ethics. With their anti-environmental, end of times, next world, position, their promotion of guilt, misogyny, anti-trade, anti-investment and their empirical racism, etc. etc.

Or perhaps just as Christians, and maybe all religious people, often do, they are assuming that religious is a synonym for good, and all that is not "true belief" is bad. In short, to confuse "Christian" with moral or ethical.

Fernapple 9 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Christian 'morality' is more about the individual than the group. It is based on carrot and stick ideas and so is not real morality but simply an appeal to greed and fear.

What is real morality?

@skado Not really valid question, since morality, may be both real and unreal, depending on how you define real and morality. It is certainly not real, for example, if you define "real" as having a provable material existence outside of the human mind. It is however real, if you define real, as anything having an existence, either within or without the human mind, and having an affect on human actions. A far better question is. What is the best morality ? And, Is there a universal morality or just a best morality for our local social situation ?

@Fernapple
I was just wondering what jack was referring to with his use of the term “real morality”.

@skado I see, perhaps he was assuming that to be "real" morality had to obey the basic rules of logic.

@Fernapple
Maybe he will tell us.

@skado I was referring to something outside the individualistic, religious arena. What real morality is is a big question but, to me, it has to include all LIFE not just one puny species.

You treat science and reason if they were synonyms. That is not true. There can be no science without reason, but there can be reason without science
Nobody denies that morality can be based on reason alone (example: Kant's ethic; utilitarianism), but nobody has ever based morality on science (as far as I know), which is logical because science only tells us what is the case, but not / never what should be the case.
That some people live as beggars while others have more money than they can ever spend is a fact, but this fact does not tell us if this is just or a situation that should be changed.
And moral rules / norms cannot be based on private preferences: You may feel better in a rather egalitarian world, without beggars and billionaires. But that's just your opinion, not a rule which concerns the whole society.

I am curious if philosophy in general or specific parts can be science. Theoretical science is often the bases for applied sciences and philosophy may offer theories that can be studied in scientific terms.

You are correct to say that science alone does not address morals, but I do not treat science and reason as the same, or I would not mention both, the use of both words should make that clear. Though I do think that they should be complimentary, since where reason is in conflict with science it is clear that one of them, usually, though not always, the philosophy, is wrong. While the scientific method which is the most advanced form of philosophy, is by far the best check on the lesser forms, though only within its limited range of usage. Therefore I choose to use both together since I value that which is supported by both, more highly than that which is supported only by one.

And Kant's ethic, especially the Universalization principle is another good example, of an ethic based on reason, which is not in conflict with science. I do not include it, partially because it it one of the ones that religious apologists are very fond of attacking, and which they think, though wrongly, they can destroy.

Since sadly however you are quite wrong in your assumption that "Nobody denies that morality can be based on reason alone" since that is a very regular position among religious apologists. Indeed almost the standard position among many of them, and one which I was myself taken in by, having debated with religious apologists who claimed to be able to disprove Kant and all other moral philosophers. It is a very bad world out there among the religious, who will even try to prove that the earth is flat, and that Newton's physics is wrongs if it suits them. So I am sorry to say that the morals of Kant, Epicurus, Hume etc. are commonly targeted and often treated with contempt.

@Fernapple I had to think about "Nobody denies that morality can be based on reason alone." Religion is not based on reason so how can they support that idea. I don't see where I assumed that idea.

@jackjr No it was Thibauld who assumed that idea, not you. I was quoting his comment.

@Fernapple Thank you. We all know what assuming does. I have learned almost nothing is B & W but shades of gray.

THAT is the problem; they have confused belief with morality or ethics.

I have watched Christians extol their exclusivity ad infinitum, normally they are wrong in their claims

Yes, science and reason as well as common sense, compassion and a desire to live in a happy peaceful world, can be a pathway to the betterment of humanity.

Doesn't need religion -- at least doesn't need a religion that stands in the way of peace and happiness, but instead promotes division and a dogmatic belief one religion or ethnicity is better than another.

Best to find the common denominator of all the religions and just work from that to bring people together in cooperation. Easy to say, hard to do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:715957
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.