Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK Biases and the Fundamental Beliefs on Which They Might Be Based:

Here are the Fundamental Beliefs on which most cognitive biases may be based

My experience is a reasonable reference.
I make correct assessments of the world.
I am a good person
My group is a reasonable reference.
My group (members) is (are) good.
People’s attributes (not context) shape outcomes.

At its core, it's probably always about consistency, In other words, the human need to view the world in accordance with one's own convictions and to soothe oneself in the feeling that one is rational, knowledgeable, good and on the right side. A main bias in the background would therefore be the confirmation bias, i.e. the tendency to seek information that seemingly supports one's own point of view, or to perceive only such information at all, and at the same time to block out or devalue counter-arguments. Processing information in accordance with personal basic assumptions is a fundamental cognitive principle.

Thibaud70 7 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not what I would call a "good person" per se.

If I associate with any particular group, said group may not always act in a reasonable manner.

Other members in my "preferred group" are not necessarily "good" either.

I'm not always correct in my conclusions.

Along the way I may have either directly or indirectly hurt other people.

In other words, I'm human and far from anything perfect, but I still try to be as decent and logical and reasonable of an individual as much as possible, and turn to objective reality for most answers in life and not just sources that would seek to boost the world views that I would prefer.

"To put it briefly, theoretical advancements necessitate integration and parsimony (the integrative potential), as well as novel ideas and hypotheses (the generative potential). We believe that the proposed framework for understanding bias as presented in this article has merits in both of these aspects. We hope to instigate discussion as well as empirical scrutiny with the ultimate goal of identifying common principles across several disparate research strands that have heretofore sought to understand human biases."

The discomfort of cognitive dissonance is a universal primary motivator, which, in itself, is not a bad thing. The problem is that we usually resolve it only deeply enough to relieve the immediate discomfort by kicking the can down the road, so to speak. The eventual result of course being that we come to a major roadblock of all the cans that we have pushed into our future instead of picking them up as we come to them.

This is to say that consistency per se isn’t the problem, but consistency with what? Our current personal iteration of equilibrium, or objective reality at large?

skado Level 9 Mar 28, 2023

Can I add " My past experience of science shows that it is useless."

That is very true yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:716313
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.