Agnostic.com

5 5

My Sunday sermon. Totally free, you're not forced to read it and very short.

The other day I was on this website called nextdoor. It's an app/website that is social media for neighborhoods. An older woman had made a post about having had important papers bundled together on top of her car and they flew off and she pulled over to pick them up. As she did a number of other people pulled over and assisted her. She was expressing her gratitude towards the strangers and her overall heartwarming experience.

As I started to read the comments I was struck by how so many people made comments that had nothing to do with these helpful strangers but instead stated how wonderful God is. I commented to point out that this was a wonderful thing by the strangers but was about them and not any god. It was then mentioned by (a more deep thinking Christian?) that God simply put all these people together at the appropriate place and time, etc. It's a perfect example of “the god gap”. Whatever isn't known or understood is God. Fact is whatever isn't understood or known simply is not understood or known, nothing else. What happens via magic fairy dust for some happens through well understood natural processes for others. Knowledge is relative and so is God.

For some everything goes through God. That's fine but why point it out to anyone? It's like if someone says they have cancer and someone responds by saying “I'm praying for you”. OK, you're telling me that you're going to talk to your imaginary friend on my behalf. I get the sentiment by why not simply express the sentiment rather than bring up your imaginary friend?

There is a universal nature and it's truth. Truth can only be found via knowledge not mythology, superstition and magical beings.

FvckY0u 8 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I call it Zen but, in any case, wonder why these papers were on top of the car rather than in it (since she had to pull over)? I think the story is BS to begin with and might be a way to introduce the Xtian god into a neighborhood. Soften it up, you might say, for a full incursion.

This is really great. You couldn't have said it better!! Kudos !!😁

The God of the gaps is usually about finding a gap and then filling it with god. This sounds almost as though they have not so much found a gap, and put god in it, so much as invented a gap that did not exist, so that they could insert their god.

When your narcissism is not getting its regular dose of hypocrisy, you have to work extra hard.

Yes, I think that when people "Thank God" instead of the people who made the choice to extend some neighborly kindness, they are taking away from the humanity of the neighborhood.

Same thing when people "Thank God" instead of the first responders, doctors, care personnel and medical device inventors and scientists who make wonderful health discoveries and law makers who make laws that save lives. We have our humanity and human kindness and the desire to do good simply for goodness sake to thank, rather than for believers only doing good deeds to get into a heaven.

Ask those same people if they'd do the same thing whether there is a heaven or not... What would their answer be?

It is soooo amazing how god finds time to gather people to pick up some lost papers, bit given the opportunity, he never breaks a shooter's firing pin.

Pity god never gave her more brain cells so she didn't leave papers on her roof in the first place.

@FvckY0u Only the OP knows what they were doing. Possibly it was their "friends" who began picking up a god theme?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:717374
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.