Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK ‘Gone With the Wind’ Novel Gets Trigger Warning -- The Daily Beast

Margaret Mitchell’s 1936 novel Gone With The Wind will now come with a trigger warning and an essay after it was deemed “harmful” by its publishers. The additions will acknowledge the Civil War classic, whose adaptation swept the 1940 Oscars, is “problematic,” claiming that the book adds to the “romanticization of a shocking era in our history and the horrors of slavery.” New editions contain a note at the beginning of the book, according to UK’s The Telegraph, which warns readers the text contains “racist” elements that could be “hurtful or indeed harmful.” It also contains an essay, written by The Other Boleyn Girl author Philippa Gregory, explaining how the book contains elements of white supremacism. While classics by Agatha Christie and Ian Fleming have been rewritten and modified recently, publisher Pan Macmillan decided not to edit the work—while insisting that the decision does not “constitute an endorsement.” The decision follows earlier calls to add a trigger warning to the 1939 movie.

snytiger6 9 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I find this to be ridiculous. The book's publisher decided do do this and from what I could gather from the articles about this, this decision was not based on anyone public complaint about the novel.

Does the book/movie contain very misleading and distorted depictions of slavery? Certainly. And the Wizard of Oz depicts a very distorted depiction of meteorology, King Kong gives a misleading depiction of zoology, and Mary Poppins is a blatant misrepresentation of nannies.

Gone With the Wind isn't presented as factual. It's fiction. And there's no guarantee that anything you read won't be offensive to you.

Maybe I'm offended by how the Whos in Whoville ignore or possibly ostracize the lonely Grinch for year after year. Should "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" have a trigger warning too?

Now we need the same for the Bible.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:717494
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.