Agnostic.com

0 0

I share this concert with you not because it was the anniversary of Don Burroughs death a few weeks ago but because I finally got round to listening to a 3CD set issued by him some years ago way before his death..

Don Burrows: A Celebration of Life Through Jazz (Live) Digital Season

https:// www. youtube.com/live/jw0fIlj4d40

From YouTube:
On the 12th of March 2020 an era of Australian music ended with the passing of the Australian jazz icon Don Burrows. Don’t miss the stream of this special tribute concert as we celebrate the life and music of a true national treasure.
Led by lifelong friend James Morrison, this memorable night will be hosted by Ray Martin and feature performances by the likes of Emma Pask, William Barton and more.

Presented by Sydney Opera House

Full show line up:
Intro 00:00
Welcome to Country 00:27
William Barton – Didgeridoo (solo)
James Morrison – Trumpet
John Morrison – Drums

The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else) 12:32
Craig Scott - Double Bass
Paul Furniss – Clarinet
James Morrison - Bass Trumpet

Whenever 19:26
Emma Pask – Vocal
William Morrison – Guitar
Paul McNamara - Piano
Craig Scott - Double Bass
Gordon Rytmeister – Drums

Please Don’t Talk About Me When I Am Gone 28:10
Phil Stack - Double Base
Andy Firth – Clarinet
James Morrison – Trombone

Memories of You 37:11
Paul Furniss - Alto Sax
Kevin Hunt – Piano

Benny’s Bugle - Benny Goodman Tribute 46:20
Andy Firth – Clarinet
James Morrison – Trumpet
Dave Pudney - Double Bass
Kevin Hunt – Piano
Gordon Rytmeister - Drums

Shiny Stocking 55:36
James Morrison – Trombone
Dave Pudney - Double Bass
Andy Firth – Sax
Paul McNamara – Piano

Do Nothin’ Till You Hear From Me 01:02:46
Phil Stack - Double Bass
Paul McNamara – Piano
James Morrison

Basin Street Blues 01:12:41
Emma Pask - Vocal
Andy Firth – Clarinet
James Morrison - Trumpet
Paul Furniss - Alto Sax
Phil Stack - Double Bass
William Morrison - Guitar
Kevin Hunt - Piano
John Morrison – Drums

Amazing Grace 01:22:48
James Morrison & William Barton

__
SUBSCRIBE to Sydney Opera House: [soh.online]

Sydney Opera House is an Australian icon and one of the busiest performing arts centres in the world. On this channel you will find performances, behind the scenes content and stories from beneath the sails. With over 40 shows a week at the Sydney Opera House there's something for everyone.
We’re not-for-profit and raise over 90% of costs from non-government sources.
Learn more at [sydneyoperahouse.com]

Find us on Facebook: [facebook.com]...
Twitter: [twitter.com]
and Instagram: [instagram.com]...

*There are two reasons why I remember Don Burroughs. Firstly I used to take my 2 year old daughter to watch him, George Golla & occasional drop-in-friend, perform on Sunday afternoons at a pretentious NSW seaside resort hotel. This lasted for a few years. It obviously didn't make a lasting impression on my daughter as, when asked today, said she no longer remembers attending. In her favour she was young.
I secondly remember Don because for a few years I prepared his tax return for signature & submission to the Australian tax office. Don never knew me other than a voice asking for the rare clarification of information that he submitted and he certainly never knew that I was the father of the beautiful little blonde girl who danced to his music performances.
I only learnt of Don's death during a visit to a library at Paynesville on the Victorian east cost a few years ago. As Don briefly resided at Paynesville the local librarian had set up a tribute alcove to him.

I hope that you enjoy this vanity concert to a man who contributed through his playing & teaching to Australian Culture.

FrayedBear 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:718459