Agnostic.com

4 7

This is going to be a screed.

Is it possible for a decent human being to be a Republican?

I ask this seriously. It seems to me if you can't get behind gun control, support for women's reproductive freedom, healthcare for everyone, legislation that eases the burdens of life, progress that benefits millions and defending democracy then you're not a decent human being and so, you're a Republican.

So no, I guess it's not possible. Not anymore even though it used to be.

Republicans today are MAGA. Those who aren't, like Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, etc..., are rejected by the party and ostracized MAGA is a party of lunatics led by a lunatic and are all completely amoral...or immoral, I'm not sure, it may be both. I've never been in agreement with the Rpublican party but at least they were sane. Wrongheaded but sane.

Now, they're not only wrongheaded but escapee from a psycho ward crazy. At one time, enough Republicans voted to support the passing of such legislation as minimum wage, unemployment insurance, Medicare, welfare assistance, Social Security, education and childcare assistance, housing subsidies, etc... now, not one of these social programs would even be considered by the Right.They'd be voted down before the Democrat who'd written the bill had even finished his presentation before Congress.

The MAGA Republican Party is the most clear and present danger facing America today and like any other imminent threat, they have to be put down. The party has to go. I don't think it's possible to bring them back to the middle.

That's how I see it anyway.

Sgt_Spanky 8 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A greater part of the problem is the average person is prone to cognitive dissonance, they unconsciously cherry pick what they want to see about their chosen politics, religion, ideology and when challenged with unpleasant realities openly say "Yes maybe so but I personally don't believe in that part" and then follow it up with some asinine platitude of an excuse such as "You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs"
My own father for instance who can when the mood suits him be very helpful, generous and caring, has voted Tory all his life base on two pieces of advice.

1. If it was good enough for Churchill it is good enough for me
    and
  2. Always vote for the people who understand money

When I pointed out to him recently that Churchill would deplore what the British right wing has become and actually fought WW1 and WW2 against comparable Nazi policies that the modern Conservative party embrace, his only recourse was to claim ignorance of modern Tory policy.
On the second point when I assured him that the Tory party do indeed understand money, because they know how to get it off everyone else and not give it back, while all the while lining their own pockets, he demanded to know why, if I was aware of that, had I not gone in to politics and joined the young conservatives in stead of the LPYS.

There is an old saying that the best trick the devil ever pulled was in convincing people he did not exist, the political right do the same thing in convincing the electorate that there is no such thing as a bent politician, and that all politicos do it for the common good (unless they are the loony left of course).

It’s a screed I support.

That's why I call them "piece of shit Republicans"

When something a little similar happened in Britain, a little over 120 years ago, a new political party was born, the Labour party. In "only" 25 years it formed its first government. (A minority government, it's true, but ...)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:719495
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.