Agnostic.com

1 3

According to his autobiography, Twain came to regret his time defending The South (which is what befriending Gen and POTUS Grant was about). Tom Sawyer was an attempt to restore the humanity taken away from blacks by The South, after all, and they attempted to ban Tom Sawyer (as I recall). Bans are good for books so I don't get very bothered by them. In fact, I wish It's A Mistake would get banned. Twain would likely be dead by now, anyway, so I'll happily recount the many ways in which I've become closer to him during my now🫡

<iframe src="[facebook.com]; width="500" height="730" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

rainmanjr 8 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Strange coding at the end.
Is this what you wanted?

It's the embed code. I see no other way to make the link to their FB post.

@rainmanjr It didn't embed. However, I downloaded the photo.

@rainmanjr and here's the text:-

"All modern American literature comes from one book by Twain called Huckleberry Finn," Ernest Hemingway wrote in 1935.

When Mark Twain died in April 1910, he was one of the most famous Americans in the world. His stories evoked the raw, vivid lives of common Americans. He created captivating characters and used humor, irreverence, and satire to both entertain and to convey truth. Twain befriended Ulysses S. Grant in the years following his presidency and in 1885 published his memoirs to wide acclaim.

Born Samuel Langhorne Clemens in 1835, he grew up in Hannibal, MO, a bustling river town with steamboats arriving daily, circuses, minstrel shows, and revivalists who stoked the imagination of a wide-eyed little boy. Hannibal also had a darker, more violent aspect, and Clemens witnessed that as well. All of these elements found their way into his stories. When he was twenty-one, he secured a job piloting a steamboat on the Mississippi. He drew his pen name, Mark Twain, from this experience.

When the Civil War began, most civilian traffic on the river halted. Twain joined the Confederate Army in June 1861, but his volunteer unit soon disbanded, and he headed out west. He began writing for the newspapers and got his first big break in 1865 with his story “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.” A great many novels and short stories followed, cementing Twain’s place in the pantheon of American literature.

In an interesting irony, Twain was born shortly after the appearance of Halley’s Comet, and he predicted he would “go out with it.” He died on April 21, one day after the comet made its closest approach to earth.

@Petter Thanks 🙏

@rainmanjr. My pleasure.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:720509
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.