Agnostic.com

1 4

LINK Florida Republican spars with Chuck Todd over Trump stance on debt ceiling | The Hill

(The decision of whether or not republicans use the debt ceiling as a wedge depends on which party holds the office of president. Even though over the last 40 years every republican president has increased deficits and every democrat president has reduced deficits, republicans only weaponize the debt ceiling, saying "spending needs to be cut" and/or "we need to reduce debt" when democrats are president.)

Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) on Sunday sparred with NBC’s Chuck Todd over former President Trump’s shifting stance on whether to use the debt ceiling as a “negotiating wedge.”

Todd on NBC’s “Meet the Press” highlighted 2019 comments from Trump in which the then-president said “I can’t imagine anybody ever even thinking of using the debt ceiling as a negotiating wedge” and asked Donalds why he doesn’t agree with the former president on this.

“He also said the other day … that he said that when he was president and when asked why he wasn’t saying it now he said it’s because he’s not president,” Donalds said, referencing Trump’s remarks at a CNN town hall event.

“Do you realize how absurd that sounds?” Todd pressed the Florida Republican.

“That is not absurd,” Donalds said.

“How is that not absurd?” Todd asked as the pair talked over each other.

“He’s always negotiating. That’s what he does,” Donalds said of Trump.

“‘What is good for me is not for thee.’ He’s basically saying, ‘When I’m president, there’s no negotiating on this. But, hey, when somebody else is president, screw them,'” Todd countered.

President Biden and House Republicans have been stalled in talks on the debt ceiling as the White House pushes for a clean debt limit increase and GOP lawmakers push for spending cuts. The Treasury has warned the U.S. could default on its bills as soon as June 1.

Donalds has endorsed Trump over his fellow Floridian politician, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.), who is expected to join the former president in the 2024 White House race later this week.

“To me, it’s not really about Donald Trump versus Ron DeSantis; it’s about what America needs,” Donalds said of the race on Sunday.

snytiger6 9 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The repubs are acting more like 2 year olds by each passing day. Since, the Trump way is the right way. So, they want to go to prison as well.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:724944
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.